Free Cloud Storage for Pics

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm looking for Cloud Storage for photos, preferably free.

Flickr, Amazon and WindowsLive Skydrive seem likely contenders and the Windows system has 25GB of free storage to Amazon's 5GB.

Has anyone used any of these and if so what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I used to use FLICKR for a while, but now I just store pics on disk and on my computer. I know they safe then.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Flickr is great, providing you pay for being 'pro' or your ISP is BT Yahoo who then give you pro for free.

I use Picasa as it is free and as I use a lot of other "stuff" from them, it makes sense. I am currently using 559 MB (54.6%) of my free 1024 MB, yes, I can get more, at a price, if needed, but I don't need it, yet. Oh, and it's a secure as I need it to be. :thumb:

https://picasaweb.google.com/muckshifter

flickr link in my sig

The others I have not tried.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I quite like Picasa too - a lot of my family and friends use it and send round links to albums sometimes. The software is a doddle to use too :).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I use Ubuntu One (2GB) Dropbox (2GB) and Amazon Cloud (5GB) so in all have 9 GB of free online storage :thumb:

Dropbox has the Public folder as well where you share the files and docs with anyone by creating a link to the file and sending it to clipborad for pasting it in the email.

Amazon Cloud has a great player known as Cloud Player which can play your videos by streaming them to either your computer or your phone.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look at Picasa and Windows systems and have uploaded some pics but it seems that they will only upload one picture at a time. There is no provision for uploading whole folders which would obviosly make the uploading much quicker and simpler, especially if there are a large number of pics involved.

Anyone know of a system that allows folder uploads?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Finally went for Amazon Cloud Drive. 5GB free storage and fairly simple uploading and folder system.

Thanks for all the input. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A final postscript to this thread.

I looked again at Windows Skydrive. It was not easy to navigate around on the site and I found it very difficult to organise the pics into folders and sub-folders so I initially went for Amazon Cloud Drive which was very simple to navigate and organise.

However, after using Amazon for a few days I realised that it was not possible to store photos as thumbnails and the only way to see them was to click on them individually, one at a time.

So I went back to Windows Skydrive and eventually worked out the way to organise the pics into folders etc. It took quite a while but I got there. I also found a quicker way to upload folders.

Two advantages of Skydrive are
1. You can see all the pics as decent size thumbnails at all times.
2. There is 25GB of free storage per email address (only 5GB on Amazon).

So, I am now using Windows Skydrive. :)

Reaction score
I am a recent SkyDrive fan. I use to collaborate on school assignments. Combined with Office 2010 it is truly live collaboration.

I cant wait to use my Windoes Live Photo Gallery on SkyDrive. When I started on my PC, it has face recognition, tagging, as well as security. I am eager to see how my family can download my photos along with my facial IDs and tags.

Stoneboysteve

Ask a Question