Found: Program to covert text to spoken word .mp3 / . wav files

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by James, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Just stumbled across this, which might prove of some use, especially
    to the partially sighted / blind etc.

    http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Software/TextRecorder.htm

    /quote

    "TextRecorder is our program which reads e-text aloud. It records
    either WAV or MP3 files which you can transfer to a portable player
    to listen to anywhere. You can get through all your computer-based
    reading, even when you are not at the computer. You can listen to
    electronic books, web pages, email and other text-based documents on
    your pocket MP3 player. While listening, you can commute, cook,
    exercise or just relax.

    TextRecorder is also for print-impaired students and the people who
    help them who cannot afford high-priced access technology. If you
    have a learning or visual disability, and want to quickly read lots
    of e-text, TextRecorder costs nothing and will enable the computer
    to read to you. If you create audio textbooks for print-impaired
    students, TextRecorder can batch the process. to anywhere. You can
    get through all your computer-based reading, even when you are not
    at the computer. You can listen to electronic books, web pages,
    email and other text-based documents on your pocket MP3"
    Absolutely FREE! The TextRecorder demo doesn't cost you anything,
    and unlike some shareware, it won't expire. You are free to use it
    on as many computers as you like, for as long as you wish."

    /endquote

    Not used myself, but wanted to pass along.

    HTH
    --
    James

    James, Feb 22, 2006

  2. James

    George Guest

    I haven't tried this program but have used other programs that use Free
    Microsoft Speech engine that this program uses. I found the speech
    tends to be hard to understand because voice sounds electronic. I have
    read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
    natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

    George, Feb 22, 2006

  3. James

    James Guest

    George leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
    alt.comp.freeware:

    > I have
    > read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
    > natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

    There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;

    http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html#morefreevoices

    --
    James

    James, Feb 22, 2006
  4. "James" <> wrote in message
    > George leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
    > alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >> I have
    >> read about programs that you have to purchase that claim to have a
    >> natural speeking voice but I have not tried them.

    > There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;
    >
    > http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html#morefreevoices

    and does somebody now how to use these voices on e.g. Microsoft narrator?

    Michel Firholz, Feb 23, 2006
  5. James

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Michel Firholz wrote:
    > "James" <> wrote in message

    >>There's some more free voices here too, if it helps;
    >>
    >>http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechEngine/voices.html#morefreevoices

    Scroll wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down for the *free* voices (MS download
    links). ;)

    or (easier) go to
    http://www.datafurnace.net.au/sayzme/html/voices.html

    > and does somebody now how to use these voices on e.g. Microsoft narrator?

    See the above link - it has a brief explanation ("About Microsoft
    Speech") that might be helpful.

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, Feb 23, 2006
  6. James

    Tomguy Guest

    A freeware text2speech using the SAPI and MS AGENT is Deskbot

    http://www.bellcraft.com/deskbot/

    It has some options for reading text, Word doc, and Excel selections, and
    has an 'ok' voice sound.

    Tomguy, Feb 25, 2006