Windows XP Formatting & Reinstalling xp help & advice

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good day to you all,

Following the problems with my internet connection that i have been stuck with lately, i am thinking of changing isp. (moving away from aol)

The problem now as i understand it, Is to format the drive and start again.:(

I just have a few questions about the process.

1. Is it worth it?

2. I am not sure how to do it (Cant get on the internet at home!) Should i get it done by someone with more experiance?

3. If i do it myself what about the product registration/activation? its already been done when i first got the pc, I found this is it all true?

Any help would be very helpful.

Cheers

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The reason you would Format

After using AOL 0n the machine this nasty little piece of software infects and worms its way into virtually every concievable windows file system and is very hard to remove all traces of it even with a dedicated cleaner software..

so the best course of action is to reformat the drive and start again with nice clean windows...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
right, if you search the site a step by step guide was posted by itsme for gabriella

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
The reason you would Format

After using AOL 0n the machine this nasty little piece of software infects and worms its way into virtually every concievable windows file system and is very hard to remove all traces of it even with a dedicated cleaner software..

so the best course of action is to reformat the drive and start again with nice clean windows...

Exactly!

Is it something as a novice, i could do myself? I have a back up of all the important stuff on another hard disc. (That will work when i format the other drive with windows and all the other stuff on it wont it?)

Whats is involved in the process? as i said i have never done it and need some advice. :blush:

If anyone knows of a good guide or something i can read and/or print out that would be very kind.

Cheers

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just seen that 2nd post me_2001, sorry, Any ideas where? (At work and aint got a lot of time)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers buddy! Do you think its wise that i try and do it my self?

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Cheers buddy! Do you think its wise that i try and do it my self?
If you read what I have said you will do it!;) if you get stuck gisa shout we are here to help:p

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Cheers buddy!
Print it out I will delete it when you are up and running GOOD LUCK:thumb:
This applies to all PC`s
1. After you have saved all your files etc: and copied them to disk.

2. Scan the disk with ant-virus ad aware Etc:

3. Don’t forget it takes time so have patience

4. Start the laptop.

5. Place the XP disk into the CD=DVD drive. [Remember during set up it will reboot several times]

6. When it runs it will enquire what you wish to do.

7. Chose install Windows XP not repair

8. It will now gather the information required to install.

9. Now it will ask which partition you wish to use.

10. Select the appropriate one it is usually the BIGGER larger section.

11. Now it will ask you do you wish to format chose FORMAT press the appropriate KEY

12. Select format NTFS

13. After it has formatted it will Start to install and ask you to agree with the terms F8
insert the XP key number when required.
14. Now all you have to do is wait and fill all appropriate information required.

15. When it has finished [you have the desk top asking to take a tour] reboot it.

Then ask any further questions and we will guide you through as you may have to set up drivers for the appropriate hardware sound etc:.;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
nice one guys thanks a lot!! It makes me feel better that i know you think i'll be fine!?! :)

I read about using FDISK, is that needed or will the XP CD be ok? I asume that i dont need it as your instrucions seem to be very clear and concise!!
I just hope it works!!! :(

Well thanks again peeps & wish me luck!! :thumb:

Thanks for the step by step Itsme! :thumb:

Reaction score
XP Disk and any driver disks is all you need.Just follow the instructions you will be OK, let me know when you intend to do it.:thumb:

Reaction score
True, latley the only need for an FDISK would be if your BIOS locked up and would not allow you to boot from Cd-ROM.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right so FDISK's something else i dont need to worry about then, good stuff!

I will be doing it soon but not sure when, i wanna get my internet connection up and running again before i do that. There seems to be problem with the line. When GayOL test the line they say i aint getting a DSL signal. Even though BT Says there is no problem! :confused:

When thats sorted then i will make sure i got the latest drivers and anything else i think i may need. Then fine some time and will go for it!

Thanks again people, i am very pleased with the help i have got, and thats why i keep comming back!!!! :)

V.R :thumb:

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
I will be doing it soon but not sure when, i wanna get my internet connection up and running again before i do that. There seems to be problem with the line. When GayOL test the line they say i aint getting a DSL signal. Even though BT Says there is no problem! :confused:

What that would probably mean is that your line IS adsl enabled, BUT you havent't configured your hardware correctly enough for it to make a connection with the AOhelL servers, so they are not seeing you as having a hi-speed connection with them.

If you have 1Mb or higher, ensure that your signal to noise ratio (SNR Margin) is well above 15db - as anything below this puts you at risk of connection drops, and slow speeds.

Ensure your hardware is connected ONLY to the BT master socket of the house, and not through a telephone cable extension. ADSL relies on the twisted copper pair of wires that are hardwired through the house and street, but not in cheap extensions. You will have negative effects if using an extension.

Make sure that you have a microfilter in every socket (i'm sure you know that)

I had a whole bunch of line problems - thats the advice i can give you...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers for the tips Chris,

The problem is that i haven't changed anything. It was working fine and then it wasn't, Nothing has changed, not even had the chance for any updates on the virus scan or spysweeper!

I had another socket put in by BT when i got the AOL software, And yes i asked if that is ok and AOL and BT said that was fine! (BT put a junction box on the side of the house and the two lines come from that box down to the two sockets on the wall) If this is the problem, (I am sure it aint!) how come its only an issue 18 months down the line and so out of the blue?!?!?!?

Anyway i gotta do work now so will check back later, Cheers!! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just got a call back from BT, They say they found and fixed the problem!!! :D
What do you think me chances are that its gonna work when i get home?!?!?
(I know you cant see me but i am actually praying!!)

Reaction score
Hmm... BT came out and an engineer said he fixed a short circuit in our line, showed proof etc etc, did it fix the problem? No.

I only started getting problems when i had my speed regraded from 512kb to 2mb...

Ask a Question