    SideWinder Force Feedback 2 is OK. How can I do to obtain
    the same think in standard user profile?

    Thanks

    Franck Cazaurang, Oct 6, 2003

  2. This was a limitation in Windows 2000 that was fixed in Windows XP. The
    problem is that the registry keys in Windows 2000 for joystick information
    was in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, this was for legacy compatibility for Win9x. In
    Windows XP this information was moved to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, where
    limited users have permission to write, and work was done to redirect
    registry calls to the correct location for legacy apps.

    --
    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput Test Lab

    Joshua Smith [MSFT], Oct 6, 2003

  3. Franck Cazaurang

    Guest Guest

    Please, could you tell me
    the list of the registery keys for joystick information
    how to move the registery keys for joystick information
    in HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    And if I do that, do you think that it will be
    run in standard profile.

    I'm working in a classroom with 10 PC and a sever machine,
    and I haven't the budjet to make the update from 2K to XP.
    This configuration will be used to make aeronautical
    formation with flightsimulator 2000. I can't give to all
    my student the super user pathword...

    Thanks

    confers no rights

    Guest, Oct 15, 2003
  4. This won't work for Windows 2000 because it doesn't have the Limited user
    fix that Windows XP has. In your case you should be able to install the
    joystick and calibrate them as an Administrator. Then when someone logs in
    on an account without Adim rights they will use the data set by the admin
    account that set up the device. They won't be able to calibrate the device,
    but it should work fine. The v4.0 keymapping software however willl not run.
    Let me know if you have any problems or if you want more detail into what
    the change in Windows XP was.

    Just FYI the joystick data for Windows 2000 was kepy mostly in the following
    two places. There are many other places depending on device, but these
    locations contain most of the data. Calibration, Device name, etc.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\Joystick

    Joshua Smith
    DirectInput Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----