Force Drive Letters

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2006.

    I have a problem with Windows XP, I have changed the drive letters for my CD
    and DVD devices to "V" and "W" to avoid the constant re-lettering of these
    drives due to the addition of USB memory devices or flash memory cards.

    For some reason, the next re-start after using a removable drive, Windows XP
    seems to continually forget the letters that I have reassigned the CD/DVD
    drives, and it reassigns new letters to them again, to whatever configuration
    it thinks appropriate at that moment (the letters vary). The end result is
    that my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM always seemed to be labeled with a different drive
    letter. This moving target of changing drive letters is causing other
    programs to have problems since they never seem to know where to find the
    constantly moving optical drives.
    How do I force Windows keep the drive letters that I have assigned to these
    devices?

    The drive letters may, or may not stay fixed e.g. I get the desired drive
    letters working with just the CD/DVD and hard drives - boots ok, then I add a
    USB device and the CD & DVD change letters again. Another anomoly is that if
    I start the computer with a CD in the drive (Music CD), the drive letters
    change again.

    Very frustrating!

    Guest, Feb 13, 2006

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    On 13/02/2006 John Gregory <> wrote:
    >I have a problem with Windows XP, I have changed the drive letters for my CD
    >and DVD devices to "V" and "W" to avoid the constant re-lettering of these
    >drives due to the addition of USB memory devices or flash memory cards.
    >
    >For some reason, the next re-start after using a removable drive, Windows XP
    >seems to continually forget the letters that I have reassigned the CD/DVD
    >drives, and it reassigns new letters to them again, to whatever configuration
    >it thinks appropriate at that moment (the letters vary). The end result is
    >that my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM always seemed to be labeled with a different drive
    >letter. This moving target of changing drive letters is causing other
    >programs to have problems since they never seem to know where to find the
    >constantly moving optical drives.
    >How do I force Windows keep the drive letters that I have assigned to these
    >devices?
    >
    >The drive letters may, or may not stay fixed e.g. I get the desired drive
    >letters working with just the CD/DVD and hard drives - boots ok, then I add a
    >USB device and the CD & DVD change letters again. Another anomoly is that if
    >I start the computer with a CD in the drive (Music CD), the drive letters
    >change again.
    >
    >Very frustrating!

    Double post! See the replies in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    --
    ---

    Y.

    Yves Leclerc, Feb 13, 2006

    You might be able to by using the TweakUI utility..?, see link below..
    Once you're in the TweakUI Powertoy utility, click the + my computer,
    drives, and uncheck any drive letters you don't need.. You may need to leave
    the temp drives in place for several reboots and or cold boots, this might
    help XP remember the settings..
    Hope this can help..
    j;-j

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006