  1. ISAAC HAYES

    ISAAC HAYES Guest

    For what kind of computer was Excel created?

    ISAAC HAYES, Jan 28, 2008

  2. ISAAC HAYES

    FSt1 Guest

    hi
    originally it was created for the IBM architechture which became known as
    the PC (personal computer). but that was back in 85 (about) and PC's have
    change somewhat to accomadate the faster processers and other divices but i
    think it is still the same basic architechture. excel was developed for the
    mac which has a different architechture.

    hope this cleared things up;
    regards
    FSt1

    FSt1, Jan 28, 2008

  3. ISAAC HAYES

    lwm Guest

    I believe that Excel was originally designed for IBM and MSDOS. It was
    originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
    average person could not understand it.

    I taught Lotus123, Supercalc, and Multiplan in the early 80's. I beleve
    Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the mac. If I am
    in correct please correct me.

    lwm, Jan 28, 2008
  4. lwm -

    > I beleve Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the
    > mac. If I am in correct please correct me. <

    VisiCalc was first released for the Apple II in 1979.

    Apple introduced the Macintosh in 1984.

    No version of VisiCalc was ever available for the Macintosh.

    - Mike Middleton
    http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
    Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

    Mike Middleton, Jan 28, 2008
  5. ISAAC HAYES -

    According to Wikipedia, "The first version of Excel was released for the Mac
    in 1985 and the first Windows version ... was released in November 1987."

    Mike Middleton, Jan 28, 2008
  6. ISAAC HAYES

    papou Guest

    Hello
    > It was
    > originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
    > average person could not understand it.

    I am not convinced this is the case.
    To my opinion and based from my experience, Excel was designed as a new
    product.
    Multiplan was designed for MS DOS and was definitely a different product
    from Excel.

    Cordially
    Pascal

    papou, Jan 28, 2008
  7. ISAAC HAYES

    lwm Guest

    Mike

    Thanks for mentioning Wikipeida

    Multiplan was an early spreadsheet program, following VisiCalc, developed by
    Microsoft. Introduced in 1982, initially for computers running CP/M, it was
    ported to a number of other operating systems including MS-DOS and Xenix.
    Versions were also available for the Commodore 64, Texas Instruments
    TI-99/4A, Radio Shack Model II, Apple II and Burroughs B-20 series of
    personal computers. Multiplan for the Apple Macintosh was Microsoft's first
    GUI spreadsheet - the others were text-based. Multiplan for the Macintosh was
    the most successful spreadsheet for the early Mac.

    Screenshot Multiplan in DOS.Outsold by Lotus 1-2-3 for several years,
    Multiplan was the basis for Microsoft Excel which followed some years later
    on both the Apple Macintosh (1985) and Microsoft Windows (1987).

    lwm, Jan 28, 2008
  8. ISAAC HAYES

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Gord Dibben, Jan 28, 2008