Windows Vista folders lost

Reaction score
Can someone help please. I use Vista and Microsoft Outlook 2007. For some reason, all my sub-folders have disappeared along with contents. On top of that, when I go to icon "move to folder" the tiles show up there, so I click on the folder and get a message "folder not available" Where did they go???

I have checked all archives, junk, inbox etc, etc. to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Sounds like they got deleted or moved. I set up my folders within the Inbox. They do not have to be created there. However, if you created them under the Personal Items top level and accidently drag and dropped the folders in the Inbox, for example, this could cause the issue. If you click on MAIL on the left side, it should show you the personal folders list that contains the Drafts, Inbox, Outbox and Sent Items folders. If you created them for storing mail, they should be listed here. keep clicking the [+] next to each item and see if you locate them here.

Also, you may have changed the data file in use with Outlook. This can be seen in Tools>Account Options>Data File Management. You should see the locations of any .PST files that were used for Outlook. Again, unless you moved it, there should at least be an outlook.pst file.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for helping. Unfortunately, it asked me to open pst file. What do you use to open file with?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Thanks. Here is what I do Tools-Acct Settings-Data files- click on personal (not archive). I cannot open from there.

There was not a way to open with Outlook.I tried. Any other ideas. Obviously, I am a bit of a novice at this type procedure.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
The account settings location is for when you want to actively use the file. At which point, you will need to specify that PST file as the default data file. It will then open the PST file and allow you to send/receive to it.

Other than that, if you want to just browse the file, choose File, then Open. Specify the PST file as that you wish to open. Should open it up in addition to the current PST file.

Reaction score
I am confused. I want to find where the folders are that disappeared and use the info in those folders.

I am not seeing that in any of the info. you so kindly sent me.

Any other ideas. Thanks.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
When you open Outlook, click FILE, highlight OPEN, click OUTLOOK DATA FILE. From here, navigate to the location where this PST you speak of is located. Select this file. Outlook will open it and allow you to read the contents of the PST file. If the folders you seek are in that particular PST file, then the folders will be available for storing. This will not happen automatically.

If you want to USE that PST file for receiving mail, then you have to specify that file as the PST file that Outlook is to use while storing and processing email information. This is done via the Tools>Account Settings>Data File Tab>Choose Add>select the Office Outlook Personal File Folders>OK>Navigate to the file and click OK.

Those are the two options you have to open a PST file.

Ask a Question