    Please someone help!!:)

    Thanks,
    Neil

    Neil, Apr 4, 2007

  2. Neil

    Guest Guest

    "Neil" wrote:

    > I have been reading all the posts and cannot find an answer that works. I
    > have Vista Home Prem. I cannot get access to many of the folders on the C:
    > drive. I consider myself pretty well versed in Windows but Vista totally
    > baffles me. I cannot even get access to the "My Pictures",etc folders in
    > the Documents and settings section of my own account. I have a Dell laptop
    > and I am the only account and it is an admistrator account.

    if you use the deaful configuration with UAC "on" then UAC will prompt you
    in order to get the folder permissions. It's very simple with UAC "on".

    Guest, Apr 4, 2007

  3. Neil

    Guest Guest

    "Neil" wrote:

    > I have been reading all the posts and cannot find an answer that works. I
    > have Vista Home Prem. I cannot get access to many of the folders on the C:
    > drive. I consider myself pretty well versed in Windows but Vista totally
    > baffles me. I cannot even get access to the "My Pictures",etc folders in
    > the Documents and settings section of my own account. I have a Dell laptop
    > and I am the only account and it is an admistrator account.

    if you use the default configuration with UAC "on", then UAC will prompt you
    in order to get the folder permissions. It's very simple with UAC "on".

    Guest, Apr 4, 2007
  4. Neil

    Michael Guest

    My Pictures is not actually a folder (note the little arrow on it) it is a
    redirection for older programs that hard coded in that name. The actual
    folder is named Pictures in Users\{your name}\

    Michael

    Michael, Apr 4, 2007
  5. Neil

    Malke Guest

    Neil wrote:
    > I have been reading all the posts and cannot find an answer that works.
    > I have Vista Home Prem. I cannot get access to many of the folders on
    > the C: drive. I consider myself pretty well versed in Windows but Vista
    > totally baffles me. I cannot even get access to the "My Pictures",etc
    > folders in the Documents and settings section of my own account. I have
    > a Dell laptop and I am the only account and it is an admistrator
    > account. I am not very worried about outsiders getting access, there is
    > no sensitive data and I am the only user. It is on a secure wifi system
    > in my home.

    You've been given the reason why you're having problems by Michael in
    this thread. Here's a very detailed explanation by MVP Jimmy Brush of
    the Vista folder hierarchy:

    "Many folders used by earlier versions of Windows have been moved to a
    new location or given a new name in Windows Vista. However, the old
    folders can still be seen if you have enabled Show Hidden Files. Notice
    they are displayed with a transparent icon and a shortcut symbol.

    "Although these look like folders, they are actually what is known as a
    junction. Junctions behave like shortcuts, but look just like regular
    folders. Their purpose is to silently redirect programs that access them
    to their Windows Vista equivalent.

    "Since junctions aren't really folders, it is not possible to access
    them, and any attempt to do so will give you an "Access Denied" error.

    Here is a list of all of the folders that have been moved in Windows
    Vista, along with their new location:
    Windows XP Location Windows Vista Location
    \Documents and Settings \Users
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents \Users\$USER$\Documents
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Music \Users\$USER$\Music
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Pictures
    \Users\$USER$\Pictures
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Videos
    \Users\$USER$\Videos
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Application Data
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Cookies
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\NetHood
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\PrintHood
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Recent
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\SendTo
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Start Menu
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Templates
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Application Data
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\History
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History
    \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    \Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
    \Documents and Settings\All Users \ProgramData
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data \ProgramData
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop \Users\Public\Desktop
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents \Users\Public\Documents
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites \Users\Public\Favorites
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates
    \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
    \Documents and Settings\Default User \Users\Default "

    Hope that helps,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 4, 2007
  6. Neil

    Paul Adare Guest

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:54:21 -0700, Malke wrote:

    >> Here's a very detailed explanation by MVP Jimmy Brush of
    >> the Vista folder hierarchy:

    > "Since junctions aren't really folders, it is not possible to access
    > them, and any attempt to do so will give you an "Access Denied" error.

    Except that the above is technically incorrect. The Access Denied when
    attempting to access a junction has nothing at all to do with the fact that
    they are junctions and has everything to do with the fact that they have a
    Deny for Everyone ACE on them.

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

    Paul Adare, Apr 4, 2007
  7. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Thank you and Michael for the explantation. I figured that the little arrow
    meant more than the old shortcut arrow but did not know what. I did manage
    to give myself permission the access the Application Data folder in my
    Documents and Settings folder but that was the only one that I could change.

    Neil

    Neil, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Neil

    LoneStar Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message

    > You've been given the reason why you're having problems by Michael in this
    > thread. Here's a very detailed explanation by MVP Jimmy Brush of the Vista
    > folder hierarchy:
    >
    > "Many folders used by earlier versions of Windows have been moved to a new
    > location or given a new name in Windows Vista. However, the old folders
    > can still be seen if you have enabled Show Hidden Files. Notice they are
    > displayed with a transparent icon and a shortcut symbol.

    SNIP.............

    Excellent answer. I had this same "problem" today after I played around
    with my Folder Options. I just reset things to the default settings (esp.
    not to "show hidden files...") and all is well now. I thought I found my
    first bug in my Premium version, but not yet. Great OS!

    EW

    LoneStar, Apr 4, 2007
  9. Neil

    Bgg Guest

    Connecting to Shared folders in XP

    First, the download from MS, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en , doesn't setup or fix your network. It just allows Vista to find the XP machine. Go to Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel of the Vista. Below the Network Map, Click on Customize. Use the Same network name that is on the XP machines. By Default, it is Workgroup, or Home, and it is best to change that. Click on Private, and Next. Once is it done, click Back. Do not reboot. In the Network And Sharing center, set the following. Network Discovery - on Files Sharing - on Public folder sharing - on Printer Sharing - on Password protect sharing - Off Media Sharing - on. Reboot the machine, twice. Don't miss this step. Install the MS patch above to each XP box. Give Vista about 10 min to find all the machines. Click on Start>Network, and you should see the machines. Click on a XP machine with a folder shared. If you get an access denied error, just by clicking on the machine, it is probley a firewall issue. For testing, disable the firewalls. Once you can see the folder, if you do not have a user on the XP machine with the same name and password, it will request one for a user that has permissions on the XP machine. This gives you permissions to the Public folders. Haven't figured out the "Share any folder" trick yet. Now, if someone figures out how to access a Trendnet HNAS-1 Nas device, with Vista, I would be interested in how. Also, remember to get you firewalls backup. For your Norton users, you have my sympathy

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Bgg, Apr 11, 2007
  10. Neil

    inky Guest

    I've had the same problem, trying to access my outlook folder to be able to copy out mu outloook.pst file. Couldn't get access by clicking on the folders, but managed to work out (using XP path) what the path to the file was, and het presto! got access and could copy the files.

    Doesn't make sense.

    Vista seriously has soe problems.
    I'm now back on XP

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    inky, Apr 12, 2007
  11. The problem lies not in User Account settings, but in Windows Defender. This is a control-freak bitch of a program. It really is a legalised computer virus that controls your system and won't let you take charge. But this is how I deal with it:
    1. Go to control panel.
    2. Click onto 'Windows defender'
    3. Switch the thing off.
    4. Do what you need to do. eg. change permissions, etc. Then turn it on again.
    To switch windows defender off, click onto the tiny little arrow next to the blue question mark at the top of the window, and click onto "exit windows defender"

    If you fiddle with windows defender and user accounts you might solve your problem. But windows is and always has been the worst f-word operating system since forever.

    Good luck.

    Theofanis Lantzakis, Feb 15, 2011