folder locations for auto text, auto correct, macros, etc.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Nov 5, 2006.

    Because my internet backup service will not back up hidden folders, I moved
    the .dot files from \username \ application data \ microsoft \ templates to \
    my documents \ templates

    --and then had to move them right back because auto text, auto correct,
    macros and such had disappeared.

    Where are these entries stored? In an "OFFICE11" folder, maybe, but which?

    \ program files \ microsoft office \OFFICE11 ?
    \ program files \ common files \microsoft shared \ OFFICE11 ?
    C: \ CMSOcache \ allusers \..... \ MSOFFICE \ OFFICE11 ?

    Any chance that I could move the one or ones to a backupable folder without
    having a Chernobyl event?

    --thanx.

    Guest, Nov 5, 2006

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Most (but not all) of that information is in your templates,
    particularly in normal.dot. See
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm and
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/WhatTemplatesStore.htm for
    particulars.

    The problem with moving them to another folder is that you also have
    to tell Word where to look for them. First make a *copy* of the
    Templates folder in the new location. Then go to Tools > Options >
    File Locations and modify the User Templates item to point to the new
    folder. Then you can empty the old folder (but you should probably
    leave the empty folder in place, in case you need it later).

    What probably happened was that after you moved the templates, the
    next time you started Word it failed to find normal.dot, so it created
    a new one with no customizations.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman