Folder/File permissions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista File Management' started by Christine Williams, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to organize my photo files and moving various folders between
    folders.

    I am the only person using this laptop, I have Vista, I have permissions for
    all users wide open.

    I create a directory/folder and then I try to move another folder into it
    and get the following error:

    Destination Folder Access Denied
    You need permission to perform this action

    I've created these folders and photos using the one and only username on
    this laptop.
    I own the folders and photos.

    I open Properties on the folder and I see it's set to READ ONLY so I unclick
    and also click OK to confirm attribute changes:
    Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files is
    checked

    I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.

    I don't even know if this is the cause of the problem.

    So I go to the D drive where the folders/files are located.
    Properties >Security
    All groups and users have full control checked.

    I do not understand why some folders can be copied to another folder while
    others cannot. It's not a consistent issue.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    Thank you
    Christine

    Christine Williams, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Your folder is NOT set to 'read only,' only files can have the read only
    attribute set. Folders do not have a 'read only' attribute to be set. Note
    that the box is 'grayed' out (your color may vary). It is not 'checked' or
    'empty'.

    As for why you cannot move things into specific directories that would
    depend on the location and name of the directories/folders involved. If you
    feel comfortable in revealing that, post back and perhaps someone can help.

    Michael

    Michael Walraven, Feb 7, 2010

  3. Christine Williams

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Christine.

    > I go back into properties and READ ONLY is checked again.

    Michael is correct. See this KB article:
    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
    in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326549

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 7, 2010
  4. Thanks...

    Ok, I was only thinking this was why I couldn't move my folders around, but
    I can see this is not why since it's related to files only. Incidently, fi
    the READ ONLY is for files in the folder only, then how do you explain a
    folder that has READ ONLY checked but I can still update the files in that
    foler... I have a folder that's set to Read Only and the files are
    spreadsheets and I update them everyday. So something is seriously messed
    up. But anyway, I digress...

    I got around the issue by creating new folders and just moving the files to
    those folders. I've spent far too much time on this at this point... but I
    THANK YOU for your responses. I'll visit this again when it thoroughly
    fustrates me!

    Thanks
    Christine

    Christine Williams, Feb 7, 2010
  5. Christine Williams

    Guest Guest

    The folder itself is generally marked READ ONLY even if you've done
    nothing to also mark all the files within it as READ ONLY.

    Robert Miles

    Guest, Mar 3, 2010