    Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
    open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
    can delete it. thanks.

    Julie, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Julie

    Bareill Guest

    "Julie" <> wrote in message
    news:5d2e01c3ad3d$4558be80$...
    > Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
    > open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
    > can delete it. thanks.

    You can open it through Windows Explorer>>My Computer>>Boot (C)>>Windows>>ServicePackFiles>>i1386.
    When you look into it you won't want to delete it.
    It's all the original files from the XP setup CD.
    Hope this helps

    Bareill, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Julie

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Julie" <> wrote:

    >Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
    >open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
    >can delete it. thanks.

    Is the folder named 1386 or I386?

    Windows uses the I386 folder to store the Windows XP installation
    files that are often needed when installing new hardware or software
    on the machine.

    If your computer has an OEM provided "System Recovery" CD then the
    I386 folder is pretty much indispensable and should not be deleted.
    Doing so would seriously impact your ability to make any changes or
    additions to the computer and with a System Recovery CD the only way
    to get the folder back is likely going to be a total "slash and burn"
    recovery operation which will put your computer back to the way it was
    when it left the factory, wiping out all of your user data files and
    installed applications in the process.

    If you have a genuine Windows XP install CD, such as comes with the
    retail versions or with the generic (no manufacturer's name or logo)
    OEM versions, then you could replace the I386 folder by copying it
    from the CD, or you could insert the CD everytime you made any changes
    to the computer and it needs some of these files.

    My suggestion is to leave the I386 folder in place. It makes things
    much more convenient and hard drive space is cheaper than dirt these
    days.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Julie

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:01:56 -0800, "Julie"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know what this file/folder is? I am unable to
    >open it and would like to know how and whether or not I
    >can delete it. thanks.

    Julie,

    I386 contains a backup copy of Windows. You don't need it to run
    Windows, but if you ever have to repair or reload one of the
    components, you'll appreciate having it. If you have an OEM version
    of Windows, it contains drivers put there by your computer
    manufacturer that are important to your computer - that you won't find
    on your standard Windows CD.

    You can delete it. But I wouldn't unless I was really starved for
    disk space. If it's size was seriously important to my free hard
    drive space, I'd get a new hard drive.

    Cheers,

    Chuck
    I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Julie

    Dads Mail Guest

    This folder contains all the system files for your computer in a compressed
    form and you may need them for a system repair and I would not delete them
    if I was you
    The reason you cannot open the folder is that you may not have Administrator
    rights

    Dads Mail, Nov 26, 2003