Flops' Friday mini blog

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well just over a week ago I went to a school reunion so before the occasion I thought to myself I don’t want to appear poor to my old classmates so thought I best invest in some new apparel. In days of old I used to buy clothes in local mens clothing shops and occasionally M & S but recently I’ve discovered that large department stores sell mens clothes. So I headed off to Oxford Street to see if I could get outfitted, the remit was a new pair of black Levi 501’s and a sweatshirt.

Into Debenhams, they had the Levis and a possible sweatshirt, noted price and on to House Of Fraser. They ain’t got nothing. Next stop John Lewis, they have the Levis as well but they cost a fiver more than at Debenhams so I go back and buy me Levis from Debenhams. No sweatshirts took my fancy but I later got one at M & S Charlton, locally, on the day of the reunion.

Observations on these large Oxford Street Department stores, they have loads of posh people in ‘em, they look as if they go horse riding most days of the week when at home on the estate and their clothes just smell of money. Some interesting people-watching. On every ground floor of each store is a large perfume department with every kind of display and promotional appratus you can imagine to flog a particular pong. These stands are manned by females of various sizes, shapes, colours and ages who aren’t all necessarily glamour babes nor are they of a certain age, they is all sorts.

This is not to say that Mr Flops did not cast an appreciative eye at many of the female forms waving odd shaped bottles of weird coloured liquid about in the hope that you may part with 80 guineas for their product. Quite surprising the whole areas didn’t smell disgusting actually but oddly enough all it smells of is fresh and clean. Perhaps they have hidden fans above them extracting, dunno.

And in House Of Fraser on the ground floor it was well weird, all sortta low lighting and there were a bank of about 5 lifts all shiny black that looked as they though could have come straight out of the film ‘Dune’ all kinda steam punk, discharging and sucking in passengers to whisk them to heights above. Only needed a hissing sound and some steam and it couldda been Disneyland or summat.

I would have visited M& S but it was further down the road and it started pouring persistently.

But before I disappeared into the bowels of Bond Street tube station I visited the HMV store, upstairs, to look at the vinyl records. So I had to buy one and it came down to a choice between these: 1) Leftism – Leftfield; 2) Progeny – Yes Live 1972 3) The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance. Well I have My Chemical Romance and Leftfield on FLAC files to I bought the Yes LP. 3 LP’s, over 2 hours of music and it cost £36 :eek:

But I like it a lot, I saw the band a few times around this time, they were good imo but after around ’73 they went seriously crap.

And so home again. I went to the reunion on Saturday, there were only 9 of us all together and it was very surreal, seeing people I hadn’t seen for – wait for it – 46 years. It was far too short though, it was held at some posh tennis club and they shut the bar at 10:15. At school there was this girl named Eileen who I fancied like mad, she was a babe and I think I would have walked hot coals to get a date with her. Well on Saturday night Eileen gave me a lift home. Hey. And yes, I still would, lol, though nothings arranged for a meeting up.

Eileen has the same colour hair as me now and she’s a little wider round the hips. Sexist? Moi? Mebbe ;) She’s also had two husbands, both of whom have died. Maybe it was just as well me not becoming an item with her eh?

Most of my peers from that schooltime (62-68) have done well, most have started their own companies and we were known as ‘baby-boomers’. Dunno where I went wrong then, lol. I think the next reunion should be at a Greenwich pub. Of course.

To get to this tennis club I took a train and then a mini cab. I saw the trains went from London Bridge so I got the main line train 2 stops and on arriving at London Bridge missed a train to my destination and the next one was half hour. So I went walkabout to waste time and rattled off a few snaps, I will post a few in the next post but here’s a pic of the reunion which one of the bar staff took on Dave’s mobile phone, not very good quality. I’m 4th from the right.

Oh, and travelling on my train I noticed it went through Lewisham which is closer to me (3 stops on DLR) and would have shortened the journey time. Doh.

IMG_0530.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I was a Royal we did our sea training on HMS Shefield, HMS Belfast was in Pompy harbour in mothball. Shame we do not have much of a navy like we used to.:(

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's so nice that you are still in touch with your old school friends! A few years after school ended for me, most of my friends had drifted apart. I think if I'd moved to London things might have been different (that's where most of them went), but I love living up north. I'm very close to the friends I am still in touch with though :)

I'm pleased to hear you survived the shopping trip - shopping in London is a frightening prospect!! Mind you, I don't have the typical female attitude towards shopping (look who's being sexist now! :D )

Reaction score
I dont take social media too seriously hence I dont get invited to many school reunions!!!:D
That said I do keep in touch with a few people from both school & college, but not many.
For me it was writing (you youngsters might not remember that) or using the telephone run by BT.
If i had wanted to stay in touch I would have done so!!!

I'm getting to be grumpy as I enter my 50th year!!!:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments folks :)

Well well Mr Feckitt I got 14 years on you and I ain't as grumpy as you, some peeps, they just old afore their time ;)

I was actually invited to around three reunions before I decided to go, the last one was one day after I had received a diagnosis three years ago so didn't really feel like a jollies-up. And apparently previous meets were better attended, they must have heard I was coming this time :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It looks (and sounds) as if you and your buddies from school days enjoyed a fun reunion. It's great that you have all been able to keep in touch over the years.

I'm with Becky when it comes to shopping. Not too keen on crowded stores these days, so I tend to save a bit of foot slog, by visiting the stores online first, to see if they have whatever I'm looking to purchase.

The photos are really good - there is "something" about cityscapes at night, when buildings and streets are lit. I also love the way that the trees have been strung with lights too. Really nice I think. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Super pictures Flops.

Shopping is ok every once in a blue moon. I usually do a tour of the shops nearer that time of the year mainly to see the lights and buy last minute don't know what to get presents. I usually take a trip to see the lights in Leeds as they are just as good as the Blackpool Illuminations. Quite a few of the lights are old ones from Blackpool as it happens.

Still keep on touch with old buddies from the early seventies though none of them are from school days. Won't be seeing so much of a lot of them as no less than nine of them died in the last twelve months. It all seemed to start after Big T died. There were almost two hundred folk at his goodbye do which reminded me of a scene from the Godfather. After that they started to drop like flies. Maybe it was the excitement of seeing old faces from way back, the realisation that the grim reaper was in the area and busy or the over indulgence of stuff that got them. Whatever I saw them and had a laugh and maybe I'll see them on the other side someday.

Spend ten pence mate and give that Eileen a ring. You never know what might happen. :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just for the record..... I hate shopping. I may have given the impression that traipsing around three large West End department stores means I like shopping but this is not so, no, I really really don't like it.

It's just that sometimes I'd rather see what I'm buying 'In the flesh' as it were and as it was only a coupla things I thought I'd suffer it. Online shopping ok for some things but not, imo, clothes. If it's wrong size you've got all that ag sending it back and getting another one returned to you.

And when I shop 'for real' I don't have to stay in all day for a delivery cos if there's one thing that puts me off internet shopping it's that. And if I'm playing my music a bit loud I may even miss the courier driver buzzing the door intercom - which means I have to stay in another whole day :mad:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
And if I'm playing my music a bit loud I may even miss the courier driver buzzing the door intercom - which means I have to stay in another whole day :mad:

That's assuming they bother to ring at all - when we lived in an apartment they wouldn't bother most of the time, they'd just take a look, think it looked too complicated, and then say that we weren't in :mad: Maybe I'm too much of a cynic!

My favourite shopping nowadays is the whole Buy & Collect shindig that a lot of places now offer :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it was delivered, so the email said, despite the fact I was in, to "Paul @ #4" ... there is NO Paul @ #4, and no package at any #4s in my street.

Eventually, a few days later, and, after I got a full refund, Paul @ #8 dropped me off my package ... I still have the refund and the obsolete package.

Amazingdotcon are fantastic! :)

Reaction score
My friends feel i'm eccentric, but then they have said that for the last 30 years!!
I seem to hate whats on tv and read or listen to music/the radio, a big DAB radio fan and lots to listen too.
Only seem to be grumpy over a pint of ale discussing life with friends so i'm told.

Some nice pictures Sir Flopps that you take.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey Feckit, I've hated what's on TV since '96 and haven't watched it at all since then, apart from the occasional download.

Latest one on my hard disk is Doctor Foster. Probably aimed at girlies but I thoroughly enjoyed it, good slice of drama it was and nice to see somebody victimised come back fighting, ruthless and victorious.

A school phoned me up with a problem but the problem was only apparent before 08:30 so could I get there before then to witness the prob?

Got up 06:00, left at 07:00, still dark, pouring with rain, got just 20 metres, tripped up and fell sprawling. Skin ripped from heel of right hand, bruised ribs and knee. Ouch. Caught bus, hand bleeding, still dark so couldn't see where I am but after 30 minutes thinking something's wrong. Eventually determine I'm on wrong bus and disembark at Eltham railway station.

Get bus back, arrive home 09:00 hours, wash and disinfect hand. Didn't have schoolkeeper's mobile number so couldn't phone from Eltham to let him know what a doofus I was so e-mailed him from home. He was fine, I is now going Monday morning as it's half term next week, easier to work on site with no brats about.

Some days just don't go right.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Online shopping ok for some things but not, imo, clothes. If it's wrong size you've got all that ag sending it back and getting another one returned to you.
Oh nooo Flopps, I didn't express myself well. What I really meant was that before trekking around a lot of stores, I like to "window shop" online first. This way, I can eliminate the places that don't have whatever it is that I'm looking for.

Having said that, I will sometimes order online too, particularly if the store is somewhere that is difficult to reach (either in terms of distance, or lack of parking.)

One of my very best purchases has been a new winter coat. After looking around various places, without seeing anything that I really liked, I chanced to spot exactly what I'd been looking-for online, so took a bit of a gamble. Fortunately, the store had described the fabric, size, colour, etc., very accurately. So yes, I was probably lucky. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Click & Collect. :)

Actual shopping. :(

My missus gets all my togs - I'm luckily a fairly standard fit. If they don't fit she takes them back and changes them. I suppose I'm very lucky in that respect. The only things I go for are shoes. For most other stuff I Click & Collect which I think is a great idea (go to shop, pick up item, get out of shop :D)

Women are wired differently. My good lady goes to shop with list but then has to look at every item in the shop before leaving. On the few occasions I've been with her I end up wandering about aimlessly and feeling I could be doing something else. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:eek: I'm not quite sure how I missed it... (I blame getting up early after retiring to bed very late!) but so sorry to hear about your mishap Flopps. Those ouchies sound painful, so here's wishing you speedy healing. :(

Ask a Question