Flops' Aquatic Adventure 2003

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's another pic thread posted at BBF and not formerly posted here. Pix are hosted, so here goes, original thread as posted on 30-05-03:

Me mates Roy & John said ‘We’re going out on the boat tomorrow, fancy coming?’

OK, said I, so next day off we set. We arrived at South Quay, Surrey Quays, around noon, high tide on the Thames.

Here’s a few pictures of our outing, in a way I feel a bit of a pillock posting these, but some of you have requested pix showing a typical local environment to where we’re living, so I hope some of you, particularly those living in the USA, may find them of interest.

Arriving at the berth, filling up with fuel.

arrival.jpg

arrival2.jpg

Young Jack, John’s son, looking forward to the outing, if he can stay off the Gameboy Advance for five minutes.

jack.jpg

Departure:

departure.jpg

And we’re off, nice day to be on the river.

off1.jpg

off2.jpg

And then disaster strikes. Suddenly, we have no steering. Drifting helplessly two big boats go past at speed, including the Catamaran ‘Hurricane’ which is quite huge. We’re bobbing up and down quite alarmingly.

Here’s the cause of our predicament, fubar’d steering cable:

cable.jpg

And this is where we broke down, didn’t get very far really, the idea was to go up to Tower Bridge, turn around then head down to Greenwich and maybe explore a tributary known as Deptford Creek. But not today, it seems.

canary.jpg

Just as we were resigned to rowing back, as if by magic along came a Port of London Authority boat who stopped, asked us what was wrong, then offered to tow us back. Yes please, we chorused.

Towing:

tow1.jpg

tow2.jpg

So we arrived back at South Quay and headed on over to the nearby Wibbly Wobbly, a pub in an old boat moored in a nearby docks. It’s run by a Comedian named Malcolm Hardee. If ever you visit this place never lend him any money.

Sorrow drowning time at the Wibbly Wobbly:

ww1.jpg

ww2.jpg

ww3.jpg

Then back to Greenwich for lunch at The Cutty Sark. This is the pub I frequent most, it’s nice to sit outside when the weather’s good. The landlord also lets us tie up the boat outside, which is good.

cuttysark.jpg

While we were there, Tyronne came by on his bicycle and chatted awhile. He’s a musician, we always seem to bump into him at Glastonbury and other unlikely places. Meet Tyronne:

tyrone.jpg

And that was my ill-fated foray onto the River Thames for the day. S’funny, don’t remember taking this, just what is that gesture she’s making?

girl.jpg

New steering cable should arrive and be fitted by Wednesday, so hopefully I can show you some more pix of underneath Tower Bridge and Deptford Creek.

Ask a Question