    have access to any current model to try out and couldn't find
    figures for preview and scan speeds with a quick search. This is
    where I'm hoping for some useful input here.

    Pimpom, Jul 12, 2011

  2. Pimpom

    Paul Guest

    Pimpom wrote:
    > I have a very occasional need for a flatbed scanner. For about
    > the same price, I can get either a new no-frills entry-level
    > scanner or a used HP Scanjet 6300c. The HP 6300c is an old model
    > that was, according to reviews, a versatile and blazingly fast
    > mid-range model when it was new 10 years ago. It also comes with
    > a document feeder and a film scanner. The optical resolution of
    > 1200x1200 is more than good enough for me. (I have no need for a
    > multi-function device).
    >
    > What I'd like to know, but can't find out, is how the 6300c
    > stacks up against current entry-level models for speed. One
    > review states that preview is 10 sec or less and scanning an 8x10
    > photo took 20 secs, but doesn't say at what resolution. I don't
    > have access to any current model to try out and couldn't find
    > figures for preview and scan speeds with a quick search. This is
    > where I'm hoping for some useful input here.

    The 6300C specs list "45 seconds", in a way that leaves much to
    the imagination.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&key=null&product=60104

    Compare to a scanner I could find on Newegg for $190.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/15179-15179-64195-3445112-3445112-3236371-3236375.html

    A4 PDF to e-mail: 59 sec for single image scan

    I may be a cynic, but I don't think that much has changed
    in scanners. The reason reviewers don't mention actual
    speeds, is they all suck :)

    Once you pay enough, that the scanning device is using
    a camera sensor or equivalent, then the scan speed
    goes up. I can find a scanner that lists "50 ppm"
    as the scan speed, and comes with an ADF. But it's only
    600 DPI, which is fine for office documents. But it is
    seven times the price of the HP scanner with the 59 second
    scan time.

    My scanner takes about 2 minutes per page, but it's more than 10 years
    old and has a SCSI interface. It's a "one pass" scanner, that
    insist on doing "2 1/2" scans per image (one pass for contrast
    check, slight head movement to scan calibration strip,
    one pass to capture color document). I captured one
    fifty page document, and it almost killed me :)

    Your new scanner should be able to beat that speed.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 12, 2011