Fixing inconsistent RAM detection

Reaction score
I have two identical 1Gb RAM chips installed, and they are not always detected. I have even had both BIOS and WIN say that RAM is 1.5Gb [as well as 1Gb and 2Gb]. Swapping the chips around seems to fix it for THAT session, and then what is detected at next reboot is an adventure/uncertain.

Reaction score
What are you asking Sabastian?

How to fix them? Hmmmmm

Not always possible and sometimes cheaper to just buy new ram

You could try reflowing he chips, but if you have never done this before and haven't got the equipment I would buy new

Reaction score
What are you asking Sabastian?

How to fix them? Hmmmmm

Not always possible and sometimes cheaper to just buy new ram

You could try reflowing he chips, but if you have never done this before and haven't got the equipment I would buy new

I would not hesitate to buy new, if I knew that the chips are faulty; but if the fault is elsewhere that would be a wasted investment. So I guess I want to know if anyone can tell me with certainty if there is another explanation or method I can pursue. I did a memtest with both chips connected, and the test was passed with flying colours, but the test saw only half the RAM !

Reaction score
"Have you tried visiting the manufacturers website....." I have not - according to the BIOS on it, it is at least 12 years old. Thanks for the URL.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
that MB has "integrated" graphics and therefore will use some of your ram, how much ram can be controlled via the BIOS, according to this up to 64MB will be used. Even if you have a 'proper' graphics card.

Also, according to the manual ... "Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 2 GB system memory when you installed two 1 GB DDR2 or DDR memory modules".

what is the operating system?

:user:

Reaction score
You would expect the detection to be consistent and not to vary between 2Gb, 1.5Gb and 1Gb 'at whim'. Even if 64Mb were 'diverted' that would be in USE, not in detection. O/S is WinXP-Pro/SP3

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't propose to know what is actually wrong with your system, just mealy trying to point to possible culprits and clues.

I do know computer fault diagnostics can prove to be nigh on impossible without "spare" parts to use as swap-outs.

I suggest ... a reset of the BIOS / save up for a new system / call it a day.

:user:

Reaction score
I've run a memtest on just one of the RAM chips and it passed with flying colours. The other RAM chip now prevents any booting. So I'm replacing it.

Ask a Question