Fix for long, long, long deleting and copying of files?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Hope, Feb 9, 2008.

  1. Hope

    Hope Guest

    Will there EVER be a fix for this in Vista??? There have been complaints
    since the betas about this.
    I spent 2 afternoons trying to delete Opera cache files which had been
    backed up to a USB drive. They totaled over 1 GB and thousands and thousands
    of individual files. I had to take 18 files at a time and delete them
    otherwise the computer seized up (I let it run for 45 minutes one time and so
    had to resort to this method to get the job done). Next time I'll use a
    suggestion I found on the 'Net....use Dos to delete or copy large files.
    Since the first time I booted up Vista, I have been annoyed at how long it
    takes to COPY files or DELETE files. What is going on here? This is slower
    than Windows 3.1 - how is this possible??
    The scuttlebutt on the internet is that each individual file is being
    checked for DRM; is this true?? If so, why is Microsoft POLICEMAN of the
    world?? The people interested in DRMing their wares should police this
    themselves, no? Am I wrong here?
    I like Vista EXCEPT for this problem, the "not responding" message which
    appears when the software really IS responding, the horrible search feature
    (I use a free utility called "Cathy" so that I can just take a few SECONDS to
    scan my hard drives, CD's, external drives when I want to and retrieve
    ANYTHING far faster than the Vista search which makes you sit there for half
    an hour waiting for a green bar to fill in.) and the irritating UAC which I
    got rid of within a week.
    Isn't it time Microsoft fixed this?

    Hope, Feb 9, 2008

  2. Hope

    philo Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Will there EVER be a fix for this in Vista??? There have been complaints
    > since the betas about this.
    > I spent 2 afternoons trying to delete Opera cache files which had been
    > backed up to a USB drive. They totaled over 1 GB and thousands and

    thousands
    > of individual files. I had to take 18 files at a time and delete them
    > otherwise the computer seized up (I let it run for 45 minutes one time and

    so
    > had to resort to this method to get the job done). Next time I'll use a
    > suggestion I found on the 'Net....use Dos to delete or copy large files.
    > Since the first time I booted up Vista, I have been annoyed at how long

    it
    > takes to COPY files or DELETE files. What is going on here? This is

    slower
    > than Windows 3.1 - how is this possible??
    > The scuttlebutt on the internet is that each individual file is being
    > checked for DRM; is this true?? If so, why is Microsoft POLICEMAN of

    the
    > world?? The people interested in DRMing their wares should police this
    > themselves, no? Am I wrong here?
    > I like Vista EXCEPT for this problem, the "not responding" message which
    > appears when the software really IS responding, the horrible search

    feature
    > (I use a free utility called "Cathy" so that I can just take a few SECONDS

    > scan my hard drives, CD's, external drives when I want to and retrieve
    > ANYTHING far faster than the Vista search which makes you sit there for

    half
    > an hour waiting for a green bar to fill in.) and the irritating UAC which

    > got rid of within a week.
    > Isn't it time Microsoft fixed this?

    It would be totally illogical for the OS to have to check DRM for a file
    being *deleted*...
    but of course...what does logic have to do with anything.

    I think SP1 has now come out of testing...
    so the problem may now be solved.

    OTOH: I've seen a few posts that SP1 breaks some drivers

    philo, Feb 9, 2008

  3. Hope

    Paul Smith Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Will there EVER be a fix for this in Vista??? There have been complaints
    > since the betas about this.

    Disk performance is noticeably improved in SP1.

    > The scuttlebutt on the internet is that each individual file is being
    > checked for DRM; is this true??

    Checked for DRM? That doesn't even make sense.

    > If so, why is Microsoft POLICEMAN of the
    > world?? The people interested in DRMing their wares should police this
    > themselves, no? Am I wrong here?

    Irrelevant as built on a false premise.

    > and the irritating UAC which I got rid of within a week.

    I hope for you sake you didn't. That's the one feature people like me have
    been demanding since the move to NT.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

    Paul Smith, Feb 9, 2008
  4. Hope

    Dave Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Will there EVER be a fix for this in Vista??? There have been complaints
    > since the betas about this.
    > I spent 2 afternoons trying to delete Opera cache files which had been
    > backed up to a USB drive. They totaled over 1 GB and thousands and
    > thousands
    > of individual files. I had to take 18 files at a time and delete them
    > otherwise the computer seized up (I let it run for 45 minutes one time and
    > so
    > had to resort to this method to get the job done). Next time I'll use a
    > suggestion I found on the 'Net....use Dos to delete or copy large files.
    > Since the first time I booted up Vista, I have been annoyed at how long
    > it
    > takes to COPY files or DELETE files. What is going on here? This is
    > slower
    > than Windows 3.1 - how is this possible??
    > The scuttlebutt on the internet is that each individual file is being
    > checked for DRM; is this true?? If so, why is Microsoft POLICEMAN of
    > the
    > world?? The people interested in DRMing their wares should police this
    > themselves, no? Am I wrong here?
    > I like Vista EXCEPT for this problem, the "not responding" message which
    > appears when the software really IS responding, the horrible search
    > feature
    > (I use a free utility called "Cathy" so that I can just take a few SECONDS
    > scan my hard drives, CD's, external drives when I want to and retrieve
    > ANYTHING far faster than the Vista search which makes you sit there for
    > half
    > an hour waiting for a green bar to fill in.) and the irritating UAC which
    > got rid of within a week.
    > Isn't it time Microsoft fixed this?

    SP1 which is due out around Mid-March addresses this issue.

    Dave, Feb 9, 2008
  5. Hope

    Hope Guest

    "Checked for DRM? That doesn't even make sense." from Paul Smith

    Then what IS Vista doing when it takes unconscionable lengths of time to
    copy or delete large groups of files?

    Hope, Feb 9, 2008
  6. Hope

    R. McCarty Guest

    If you want a detailed technical explanation of how file copy
    in Vista works, see the following: http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/

    R. McCarty, Feb 9, 2008
  7. Hope

    Hope Guest

    Paul, take a look at this article from your own countrymen before you say
    disparagingly that what I say "doesn't even make sense":
    wwwdottheregisterdotcodotuk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/

    Hope, Feb 9, 2008
  8. Hope

    Hope Guest

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/
    (sorry, thought I could not post urls)
    Quote from article:
    "Microsoft's inability to fix a defect in such a basic feature has led to
    its share of conspiracy theories that would be quickly dismissed as kooky,
    were it not for the company's steadfast refusal to provide any details about
    what's causing the problem. The top contender: The inability to copy files
    without stalling isn't a bug at all, but rather the result of a digital
    rights management feature designed to protect Hollywood (even if the rest of
    us have to cuss our way through four hours deleting a few gigs worth of
    crap)."

    Hope, Feb 9, 2008
  9. Hope

    philo Guest

    "R. McCarty" <> wrote in message
    > If you want a detailed technical explanation of how file copy
    > in Vista works, see the following:

    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/

    <snip>

    LOL

    According to that article...Vista uses an improved "copy" algorithm as
    compared to XP...
    it's just slower

    LOL

    philo, Feb 9, 2008
  10. Agree. I have been looking for a way to make the copy 'half-duplex' but so
    far I haven't found anything available. My reason for this is that often an
    ethernet connection will show slowness just like that in Vista, and the fix
    is to use half-duplex.

    I tried getting MS to listen to that, but I think probably you have filed a
    few suggestions yourself :/

    --
    Was this helpful? Then click the "Yes" button below. Voting helps the web
    interface.

    Mark L. Ferguson

    ..

    Mark L. Ferguson, Feb 9, 2008
  11. Hope

    Paul Smith Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > According to that article...Vista uses an improved "copy" algorithm as
    > compared to XP...
    > it's just slower

    Well actually copying files between machines on my local network here is
    much faster than with Server 2003 or XP. Windows Vista uses around 99% of
    network bandwidth, previously it would only ever manage to get up to about
    70 or 80%.

    I suspect if I had a gigabit switch it would be even faster.

    Paul Smith, Feb 9, 2008
  12. Hope

    Paul Smith Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Paul, take a look at this article from your own countrymen before you say
    > disparagingly that what I say "doesn't even make sense":
    > wwwdottheregisterdotcodotuk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/

    The Register? How about quoting a technical source. Honestly why would
    Windows Vista do all this DRM stuff when deleting files?

    You don't see the system falling to its knees when moving or deleting iTunes
    songs do you, if you want to look at DRM take a look at that. The player
    always is what implements DRM, to explorer a file is just a file.

    Even then the DRM stigma around Windows Vista is almost entirely FUD
    invented by some guy called Gutmman which I debunked over a year ago.

    http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/2006/12/31/windows_vista_drm_nonsense
    http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/2007/08/14/peter_gutmann_s_vista_drm_claims_again

    Paul Smith, Feb 9, 2008
  13. On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:26:39 -0000, "Paul Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Will there EVER be a fix for this in Vista??? There have been complaints
    >> since the betas about this.

    >Disk performance is noticeably improved in SP1.
    >
    >> The scuttlebutt on the internet is that each individual file is being
    >> checked for DRM; is this true??

    >Checked for DRM? That doesn't even make sense.
    >
    >> If so, why is Microsoft POLICEMAN of the
    >> world?? The people interested in DRMing their wares should police this
    >> themselves, no? Am I wrong here?

    >Irrelevant as built on a false premise.
    >
    >> and the irritating UAC which I got rid of within a week.

    >I hope for you sake you didn't. That's the one feature people like me have
    >been demanding since the move to NT.

    There is a lot about Vista that does not make sense.

    thetruthhurts @homail.com, Feb 10, 2008
  14. Hope

    Hope Guest

    Philo,
    Isn't the first thing checked by the police on computers deleted files?
    Especially if some notice has been given to the perp. It would not surprise
    me if the greedy Hollywood DRM crowd had Microsoft put a feature in Vista to
    make it easier to catch their "perps". So maybe this is not such a far
    fetched idea after all. At any rate, I would not dismiss it out of hand
    especially if Microsoft wanted to curry favor with the Hollywood people to
    make lucrative deals for themselves as far as offering movies or music
    through Media Player.

    Let's hear an explanation from Microsoft about what the cause of this
    problem is and then the rumors will go away.
    OR they can make the problem go away through a fix...some say the upcoming
    sp1 does NOT fix it.

    Hope, Feb 10, 2008
  15. Hope

    philo Guest

    "Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Philo,
    > Isn't the first thing checked by the police on computers deleted files?
    > Especially if some notice has been given to the perp. It would not

    surprise
    > me if the greedy Hollywood DRM crowd had Microsoft put a feature in Vista

    > make it easier to catch their "perps". So maybe this is not such a far
    > fetched idea after all. At any rate, I would not dismiss it out of hand
    > especially if Microsoft wanted to curry favor with the Hollywood people to
    > make lucrative deals for themselves as far as offering movies or music
    > through Media Player.
    >
    > Let's hear an explanation from Microsoft about what the cause of this
    > problem is and then the rumors will go away.
    > OR they can make the problem go away through a fix...some say the upcoming
    > sp1 does NOT fix it.

    <snip>

    One thing about Vista is that the folders keep former versions.
    If you delete a file that is within a restore point (and not in the recycle
    bin)
    one can right click on the folder and restore the file..

    That's good in one way...as a lot of people delete stuff by accident...
    but from a security stand point that could be dangerous.

    However much I am in favor of protecting privacy...
    I cannot say I have any sypathy for protecting "perps"

    philo, Feb 11, 2008