Windows Vista Firefox updating in circles

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry for posting yet another question ... it seems to be my day for them today :rolleyes: but....Firefox appears to be playing silly beggars here... is it happening to anyone else please? I keep getting the message that it has just downloaded updates and Firefox must be re-started for them to take effect. I then click for it to get on with it, but when Firefox re-starts, I get another message telling me that an update is vailable... and so it goes on...

I must have downloaded the darned update at least three times last night, and still it is not happy, because it has begun the cycle all over again now
wallbash.gif
. Is there something that I should be doing, do you think? (I have posted in here, not because I am blaming Vista, but simply because it is only happening on the Vista PC.) :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
LoL ... yep, I had that once, I don't have the problem anymore, I uninstalled FF. :eek: :p

Is your Firewall blocking the update ...
laughingsmiley.gif

The reason why the update may fail is because Windows Vista redirects all I/O operations from the Firefox installation folder to a "virtual" folder inside the user profile folder.

The updater won't find the needed files there and will fail. You need to start Firefox as administrator.

Some more hints ...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_reported_when_running_newest_version

IE7 has integrated security with Vista. ;)

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you, Mucks I will look at that link - Alf, I forgot to mention that it is Firefox 2.0.0.3 and it was asking me to download the 2.0.0.4 version. Just had a bright idea (?) maybe I could get the XP updated version onto my thumb-drive and transfer it over..... or maybe not :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Oh thank you, Mucks I will look at that link - Alf, I forgot to mention that it is Firefox 2.0.0.3 and it was asking me to download the 2.0.0.4 version. Just had a bright idea (?) maybe I could get the XP updated version onto my thumb-drive and transfer it over..... or maybe not :D
Sure, if it works for you, why not.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just in case it might be of interest to anyone else thinking of trying it - the downloading of Firefox 2.0.0.4 to XP then transferring it by thumb-drive to the Vista PC, worked just fine. I installed the newer version over the old one so didn't lose any settings/bookmarks. And so far, I've not received that dratted, recurring message about updating :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That looks useful AB - particularly for backing up the bookmarks - I don't have many extensions, but have bookmarked a lot of my favourite websites. Thank you for that :thumb: :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Follow the link and scroll down to this part ,

I want to copy my entire profile to a new Firefox installation. Can you give me step-by-step instructions? (Assume I am Firefox challenged.)

I used FastStone Capture to make a record of all the info and saved to file as its quite complex and I tend to goof even with destructions . Then you can use it as and when needed . I save the whole profile with whistle and bells and re-instate if I have to re-install FF . Works a treat once you get the hang of it . I make backups of FEBE when I have changed anything in FF , easily done with a couple of clicks of the mouse . :thumb:

http://customsoftwareconsult.com/extensions/febe/febeFAQ.html#A19

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Once again AB, thank you for the link, this too is a very useful how-to :thumb: :D

Ask a Question