Finding the registry keys for an applied group policy.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy' started by Wayne Pierce, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Wayne Pierce

    Wayne Pierce Guest

    I have been looking for the location in the Windows registry where
    group policy settings are stored, but cannot find any keys. The
    locations I have checked include:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer\Policies
    HKLM\Software\Policies
    HKCU\Software\Policies
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer\Policies

    Right now I am using the default local group policies with one minor
    change. I changed one of the keys that would not affect a test login
    to see if a key was added to the registry. This change was to
    determine if the default policy was enforced but not in the registry
    unless a value was changed.

    Is there another place I should be looking for these?

    What I am trying to do is write a program that scans the registry and
    reports back on how the systems are configured. Ideally all of the
    systems should be covered by various policies, but I need to check at
    the registry level for around 300 machines.

    Thanks for any help,

    Wayne

    Wayne Pierce, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Do they have a blue dot or a red dot next to them? Meaning, when you look
    in the editor is there a red dot or a blue dot next to it?

    Cary

    Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP], Sep 28, 2004