Files mysteriously deleted

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 File System' started by Mrich, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. Mrich

    Mrich Guest

    Hello,
    Win 2000 sp4, Pent 3, 850mhz, 512mb ram. I have 2 drives, system drive C: is
    a 40gb and storage drive D: is a 160mb.
    Problem starts like this. The other day while recording some audio, I
    noticed some sluggish, skipping action. Playing back that material was the
    same.
    I then opened a pre-recorded wave file and the computer play perfectly. So I
    cleaned the D: drive by deleting some files, scanning for viruses, adware,
    malware, etc.
    Then I did a chkdsk which completed without errors and tried to run a disk
    defrag. I received a message saying defrag could not be performed or
    something to that effect. I did not search the MS Knowledge as I just shut
    the computer down and went out. The next day I booted, ran defrag on disk D:
    and noticed it finished very quickly and found out all of my files were
    gone. I was only left with a temp folder and a chkdsk file. Luckly I back up
    DVD.
    My question is, what could have possibly happened to all my user files on
    drive D: ?
    I did not delete them. No virus was found when scanned. Nothing in recycle
    bin.

    Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
    mrich

    Mrich, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Mrich

    Dave Patrick Guest

    What happened when you restarted the pc was chkdsk ran and found broken
    chains/ lost clusters, then created *.chk files of them so you can delete
    them and regain the otherwise lost drive space. The disk drive may have
    failed so I'd run the manufacturer's diagnostic tools on the disk.

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Mrich

    Mrich Guest

    Thanks Dave,
    The *.chk file was only 9mb and I had over 60mb of files on the disk. So are
    you saying this *.chk file was just fragments of the 60mb of files.
    I"ll run the manfacturers diags on it. This disk is still under warranty so
    I can probably get it replaced.
    BTW, for anyone reading this following this thread, BACKUP your
    data.......regularly. I'm glad I did.

    Mrich, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Mrich

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Yes, the *.chk files are not really meant for any recovery. Just a means to
    recover the lost space. Ditto on the backups.

    Dave Patrick, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Mrich

    Mrich Guest

    Now that was great advice and thats exactly what I'm gonna do. I did have
    video and photos on that disk.
    Much appreciated as I'm sure all who read this.
    Mrich.

    Mrich, Dec 10, 2007