file sharing server not started?

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Eric, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    When i try to share a directory (TripPics)in XP, (Right click TripPics,
    select sharing and security - Checkmark "Share this folder on the network",
    click apply) I get this message:
    An Error occurred while trying to share TripPics. The Server service is not
    started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

    The "Server service"? What?

    This all used to work and one day it just stopped working, RD quit, shared
    directories went away. Was this a windows update fix or something? Maybe.

    Anyway how do i return this to normal so i can share directories? I got RD
    working, but i still cant share directories.

    Here's the weird part, the previously shared dirs actually show up on the
    network but you cant do anything with them and they dont show a shared
    icon in XP
    Thanks
    Eric

    Eric, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Eric wrote:
    > When i try to share a directory (TripPics)in XP, (Right click TripPics,
    > select sharing and security - Checkmark "Share this folder on the network",
    > click apply) I get this message:
    > An Error occurred while trying to share TripPics. The Server service is not
    > started. The shared resource was not created at this time.
    >
    > The "Server service"? What?
    >
    > This all used to work and one day it just stopped working, RD quit, shared
    > directories went away. Was this a windows update fix or something? Maybe.
    >
    > Anyway how do i return this to normal so i can share directories? I got RD
    > working, but i still cant share directories.
    >
    > Here's the weird part, the previously shared dirs actually show up on the
    > network but you cant do anything with them and they dont show a shared
    > icon in XP
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Right click My Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services.
    Scroll down the list and check the status of Server. It should be set to
    Automatic and should be showing as started. If it is not on automatic
    then double click and set Startup Type to automatic click apply then
    click start. If is already on automatic but has not started try staring
    it (right click then click start) if it does not start then check event
    viewer both application and system to see why it is not starting.

    Stephen Whitlock, May 5, 2007