    --
    William B. Lurie

    , Mar 16, 2005

  2. Jabez Gan Guest

    Hey there,

    I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since I
    believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.

    Instead, try this:
    Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known Good....
    If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and see if
    Windows can load properly.

    If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
    whether it is possible.

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    Jabez Gan, Mar 16, 2005

    Jabez Gan wrote:
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I don't think that doing a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT will solve the issue, since I
    > believe that a/some file(s) are missing or corrupted.
    >
    > Instead, try this:
    > Before Windows load, please tap on the key F8 and select Last Known Good....
    > If it loads properly, restart your PC and do not tap on F8 and see if
    > Windows can load properly.
    >
    > If Last Known Good doesn't work, try entering Safe Mode and update me
    > whether it is possible.

    Thank you, Jabez, but although I'm not an expert, I've been down
    this road in the past. It won't go to where it will load any
    of the Safe or Last Good mode.....it won't load any mode at all
    Yes, it does say what specific file is missing, and I'm hoping
    that somebody will tell me how to get that file back, from the CD,
    to where it belongs.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    , Mar 16, 2005
  4. Jabez Gan Guest

    Bill,

    Please do the following in Recovery Console to transfer the file from a CD
    (please copy the file system to a CD before doing the below):

    set AllowAllPaths = True
    set AllowRemovableMedia = True
    copy E:\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

    (Substitute E: to your CD Drive letter)

    Hope this helps.

    Jabez Gan, Mar 16, 2005
  5. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

    Richard Urban, Mar 16, 2005
  6. GTS Guest

    This is a damaged registry file and a difficult problem and not always
    repairable.. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 which addresses
    this error specifically and a possible recovery method. (Running the
    chkdsk /r was a good move as this is sometimes the result of a failing hard
    disk, though apparently not in your case.)

    GTS, Mar 16, 2005
  7. DON'T DO THIS! It is wrong!

    You need to copy the requisite files from your REPAIR FOLDER (not the CD) to
    the correct location.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

    Richard Urban, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Jabez Gan Guest

    Thanks Richard. I have forgotten about that.

    Bill, I'm regrettably sorry but please see the other link that Richard
    posted.

    Jabez Gan, Mar 16, 2005

    GTS wrote:
    > This is a damaged registry file and a difficult problem and not always
    > repairable.. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 which addresses
    > this error specifically and a possible recovery method. (Running the
    > chkdsk /r was a good move as this is sometimes the result of a failing hard
    > disk, though apparently not in your case.)

    Thank you, GTS, for the link to the KB article specifically addressing
    this problem, as you indicated. Unless one of our other helpful friends
    has a better suggestion, I don't think I have much alternative to
    following the very complicated procedure furnished.

    I will have to read those four pages very carefully, several times,
    to make sure I understand each step. For example, Part two states
    what to do for Home Edition ("follow these steps", and then a
    detailed procedure, and I can only assume that what follows the next
    four steps will apply to XP Professional Edition). After those steps,
    there is a NOTE: The procedure described in this section assumes
    that you are running your computer with the FAT32 file system. Well,
    my XP has been all NTFS for several years now, so I'll have to sort
    out what applies to XP Pro and to NTFS.

    There is one more stumbling block, however: Late in the Article, in fact
    the last step, is "Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a
    previous RestorePoint. I am not ashamed to confess that I have no
    previous RestorePoint, because, as these pages attest, I do a complete
    HardDrive DriveImage at frequent intervals. I'm open to some sound
    advice here, before I wade in up past the knees into waters that are
    obviously not clear to me.

    William B. Lurie

    , Mar 16, 2005
  10. GTS Guest

    You're welcome and good luck. This procedure is complicated and not always
    successful. You should have a Restore Point unless you actually turned of
    System Restore. The NTFS references address access to the System Volume
    Information folder, so if you really disabled system restore it will not be
    applicable. It's fortunate that you image the drive. Restoring that backup
    may well be the best solution. If it's up to date I'd be inclined to go
    that route at the outset rather than the repair.

    GTS, Mar 16, 2005

    GTS wrote:
    > You're welcome and good luck. This procedure is complicated and not always
    > successful. You should have a Restore Point unless you actually turned of
    > System Restore. The NTFS references address access to the System Volume
    > Information folder, so if you really disabled system restore it will not be
    > applicable. It's fortunate that you image the drive. Restoring that backup
    > may well be the best solution. If it's up to date I'd be inclined to go
    > that route at the outset rather than the repair.

    Right on, GTS. I had already decided that I'd use one of
    the clones I've made. Even that process, with Drive Image 7,
    is not foolproof. For practice, I did two a week and
    practices Restore from their Recovery Environment, but
    that also doesn't always work. Maybe as a learning
    rxperience, I'll try 'this' technique sometime......
    but first the way that has worked, as is vastly simpler.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    , Mar 16, 2005