Windows XP File extensions being changed

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a file that is created through a software game. That file is named with an extension of .LZP I then upload that file to a web server. When I click the link to download the file using IE6 it gives me a download dialog box but in that box the file name gets changed from a .LZP to .ZIP

The original software is looking for the .LZP extension. So without changing it back from .ZIP to .LZP the program won't list it to be selected. The Software doesn't give the option of *.*(all files).

I have done some reading and it seems that it has something to do with mime type. Is there anything I can do to my file associations so that this file is recognized and force it to keep the .LZP extension?

thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Make a new "association" to the program that needs/uses it ...

1. Double-click My Computer.
2. On the View menu, click Options.
3. Click the File Types tab.
To create a file association, click New Type.
A box will open with "Description of type",
enter something discriptive.
The box beside it says, "Associated Extension", enter a name
Then Click the "New" button and enter "open".
In the "Application used to perform action" box, browse to the program.
then click OK and C:\WINDOWS\whatevertheprogramis.exe will appear in the
"Application used to perform action" Box.
Then click OK until all the boxes are closed.

HTH

Welcome to the Forums. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I must not have been clear in my problem. It isn't with a file association to a program. I am having problems when downloading a file from the internet. The file on the web is named:

week 1.LZP when I select that file in my browser and click it I get a download dialog box that says a file called week 1.zip will be downloaded and its file type is WinZip File. No matter what I do the file gets renamed.

now when I go and start up my Strat-o-matic baseball game and try to restore a league it opens a directory dialog box and the only file type it will allow is *.LZP. Because the file has been renamed it is not available for selection.

Why would the download process change the file extension?

thanks again in advance

muckshifter said:
Make a new "association" to the program that needs/uses it ...

1. Double-click My Computer.
2. On the View menu, click Options.
3. Click the File Types tab.
To create a file association, click New Type.
A box will open with "Description of type",
enter something discriptive.
The box beside it says, "Associated Extension", enter a name
Then Click the "New" button and enter "open".
In the "Application used to perform action" box, browse to the program.
then click OK and C:\WINDOWS\whatevertheprogramis.exe will appear in the
"Application used to perform action" Box.
Then click OK until all the boxes are closed.

HTH

Welcome to the Forums. :thumb:

Reaction score
Yes, Renaming it works also. The bottom line is that some of the people that are downloading this file are very computer challenged. I go to great lengths to make sure that things are as easy as possible for them.

After spending about 3 hours with hostcentric tech support it seems to be working now. They had me put a custom mime type in our host profile. The .lzp file seems to be a standard compressed file the can be opened by winzip and most likely has information in its header that is the same as a winzip file. According to Microsofts site when you try to download a file it looks for header information and then checks the extension of the file to see that they match. When they don't the file extenstion gets changed to some known filetype to allow the browser to better handle the download.

part of the problem was that changes to the host profile could take up to 2 hours to take effect. I asked them about that and they seemed to think that it would not take that long. It still wasn't working when I quit last night but overnight the changes took effect and low and behold today it downloads without changing the file name.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Adywebb said:
Have you tried re-naming it to .LZP?

Ask a Question