File explorer hangs when right-click, ctrl-c, shift-delete, double-click

G

Sorry for the duplicate post. I accidentally posted this in the generic support newsgroup instead of networking

Some config details: XP Media Center, latest windows updates, Using workgroup (not part of a domain), ethernet and wi-fi

When I right-click, double-click, ctrl-c, shift-delete etc. a file in file explorer, I get an hour glass cursor, and explorer hangs for many seconds. I also noticed that when this happens, the system-tray networking icon shows activity. So, I ran Port Explorer. It looks like my computer is trying to access port 445 on another one of my computers, but that computer is turned off, so it waits to timeout

I searched around the Internet and found that port 445 is related to Msft Directory Services and NetBIOS. If I disable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP", the problem goes away, but then I can't access some of the computers on the network

I have latest virus check updates, and have run adaware and spybot checking; all seems to be well

Does anyone know why my computer would ensist on accessing another computer every time I right-click on a file in file explorer

PS I've been trying for weeks to get rid of this most annoying problem. I've read the posts about the transition effects causing a 100% CPU usage, but that isn't my issue (I have them disabled, and it isn't a CPU usage, it looks like a timeout

Thank
Dou

Reaction score
I had the same problem. The above post helped me in identifying the root cause and subsequent resolution.
For me, the root cause of the problem is tjat for some of the file extension the associated exe file path is stored in registry as a UNC path like \\<IP>\path\sqldeveloper.exe.

When the target machine IP is not pingable Right Click, Double Click etc Hangs until the system times out trying to reach it. Using the Port Explorer software I found out the IP of the machine the System is Trying to reach on Net BIOS port 445.

The fix is to change all the UNC path of executable stored in the registry to a Local Path.

Reaction score
For years I had the same problem on my XPs, every since the first day I installed XP up till now with SP3

I checked out services.msc but I could not find any service with the word "NetBios" in it for disabling.

I had the same problem. The above post helped me in identifying the root cause and subsequent resolution.
For me, the root cause of the problem is tjat for some of the file extension the associated exe file path is stored in registry as a UNC path like \\<IP>\path\sqldeveloper.exe.

When the target machine IP is not pingable Right Click, Double Click etc Hangs until the system times out trying to reach it. Using the Port Explorer software I found out the IP of the machine the System is Trying to reach on Net BIOS port 445.

The fix is to change all the UNC path of executable stored in the registry to a Local Path.

genie123, I dont think I quite understand what needs to be done?
do I need to write a script to crawl and search and replace all certain register values in the entire registry of XP that have UNC network pathes to local ones?
is this actually the solution you suggest for regular people who find this post of yours over google?

did doing that thing you suggested actually worked for you?
can you explain further how you did it? what specific values of the registry did you change?

Ask a Question