File Error: Data May Have Been Lost (Excel 2000)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Crashes' started by derabbit, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. derabbit

    derabbit Guest

    Excel 2000 (SP-3)
    OS = XP Home Edition w/ latest updates (autoupdate)

    The Situation/Problem:
    Single tab Spreadsheet with 14 "Buttons" and associated VB programs.
    Spreadsheet is modified (code edited, new data added to the sheet, etc.) and
    saved. After several iterations (the number varies), when the spreadsheet is
    reopened and "Enable Macros" selected, the following message is presented:
    "File Error: Data May Have Been Lost ". The spreadsheet is presented BUT
    all buttons and graphs which were present in all previous open/modity/save
    operations are GONE! The VB code is still there BUT buttons can not be
    recreated in the same spreadsheet.

    More Detail: I used the following "recovery" method.
    1. Open a new workbook.
    2. Copy the data from the now-corrupt file to the new workbook.
    Note: The VB programs are NOT copied to the new workbook.
    3. Create new buttons on the new sheet and paste in the VB from the original
    spreadsheet.

    After completing the above steps, the "new" workbook is again whole and
    continues to function (loads, opens, is modified, saved, etc.) - BUT ONLY FOR
    A SHORT WHILE!! Eventually (time and frequency varies) the error message is
    again presented and the buttons are lost. The "recovery" is painful.

    Please, anyone who can shed any light on this issue, please respond.

    Thanks, derabbit

    derabbit, Apr 4, 2008

  2. derabbit

    Alan124 Guest

    On Apr 4, 11:47 am, derabbit <>
    wrote:
    > Excel2000 (SP-3)
    > OS = XP Home Edition w/ latest updates (autoupdate)
    >
    > The Situation/Problem:
    > Single tab Spreadsheet with 14 "Buttons"  and associated VB programs.
    > Spreadsheet is modified (code edited, new data added to the sheet, etc.) and
    > saved.  After several iterations (the number varies), when the spreadsheet is
    > reopened and "Enable Macros" selected, the following message is presented:
    > "File Error:  Data May Have Been Lost ".  The spreadsheet is presentedBUT
    > all buttons and graphs which were present in all previous open/modity/save
    > operations are GONE!  The VB code is still there BUT buttons can not be
    > recreated in the same spreadsheet.
    >
    > More Detail:  I used the following "recovery" method.
    > 1. Open a new workbook.
    > 2. Copy the data from the now-corruptfile to the new workbook.
    >     Note:  The VB programs are NOT copied to the new workbook.
    > 3. Create new buttons on the new sheet and paste in the VB from the original
    > spreadsheet.
    >
    > After completing the above steps, the "new" workbook is again whole and
    > continues to function (loads, opens, is modified, saved, etc.) - BUT ONLY FOR
    > A SHORT WHILE!!  Eventually (time and frequency varies) the error message is
    > again presented and the buttons are lost.  The "recovery" is painful.
    >
    > Please, anyone who can shed any light on this issue, please respond.
    >
    > Thanks,   derabbit

    Hi,

    There is a tool called Advanced Excel Repair. I have used it to repair
    many corrupt Excel xls files on my damaged disks successfully. Its
    homepage is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

    Maybe you can have a try.

    Alan

    Alan124, Apr 10, 2008

  3. derabbit

    michal101

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    There is very dangerous situation when your excel files got damage or corrupt. It may be contain so many important data and suddenlty while you go to access then it will turn down your request and show you error messages. In this situation you have to calm down. You can take help of Microsoft and visit http://support.microsoft.com/ .
    Further more you can also use third party recovery tool to show your sensibility to recovery the damage or corrupt files. For more information you can visit:- http://www.excelrecoverymac.com
    It will be very useful for you.

    michal101, Aug 16, 2012