Windows XP Faulty tweak to "Use double-pane Explorer when opening network drives"

Reaction score
I tried to post this in a thread that is already closed with the problem still unsolved. Here are the problem and the solution.

After applying a pctools tweak to my xp home, I couldn't open Network Connections anymore (Settings, Right-click, Open - Or Right-clight on the Connection icon in the system tray, Open Network Connections). When I cancelled the tweak, everything came back to normal.

The tweak:
----------------------------
Use double-pane Explorer when opening network drives (Windows 98/Me/2000/XP) New
By default when opening network drives (UNC) the Explorer window opens with a single-pane which does not show the Folders section on the left-hand side. This tweak changes the default behavior to open network drives with a double-pane view.

Open your registry and find or create the key below.

Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called "(Default)" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec]
Value Name: (Default)
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: ([ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)] = default, [ExploreFolder("%l", %I, %S)] = double-pane view)
The original value of (Default) is: [ViewFolder(\"%l\", %I, %S)]
I hope they can find the right tweak, this feature would be convenient.

The funny thing is that when I tried to restore the computer to its previous state using a restore point I created before the tweak, System Restore said nothing had changed. But that was not true. I had to modify the registry key manually.

Reaction score
Sinus Logarithme said:
I tried to post this in a thread that is already closed with the problem still unsolved. Here are the problem and the solution.

After applying a pctools tweak to my xp home, I couldn't open Network Connections anymore (Settings, Right-click, Open - Or Right-clight on the Connection icon in the system tray, Open Network Connections). When I cancelled the tweak, everything came back to normal.

The tweak:
Use double-pane Explorer when opening network drives (Windows 98/Me/2000/XP) New
By default when opening network drives (UNC) the Explorer window opens with a single-pane which does not show the Folders section on the left-hand side. This tweak changes the default behavior to open network drives with a double-pane view.

Open your registry and find or create the key below.

Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called "(Default)" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry; you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec]
Value Name: (Default)
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: ([ViewFolder("%l", %I, %S)] = default, [ExploreFolder("%l", %I, %S)] = double-pane view)
The original value of (Default) is: [ViewFolder(\"%l\", %I, %S)]
I hope they can find the right tweak, this feature would be convenient.

The funny thing is that when I tried to restore the computer to its previous state using a restore point I created before the tweak, System Restore said nothing had changed. But that was not true. I had to modify the registry key manually.

Welcome to theforum.............:p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I haven't got a 102" wide screen, so I deleted all the pics in your post MX

If you don't like the fact that someone hasn't "introduced" themselves, why bother posting.

:rolleyes:

Ask a Question