    the Far Cry demo down to a crawl? The game just has points where it lags bad
    for about a second then clears up and runs fine.

    Does the actual, released Far Cry game run any better than the demo?

    Wblane, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Wblane

    Dodgy Guest

    On 27 Apr 2004 14:34:27 GMT, otizer (Wblane) waffled on
    about something:

    >I've got a Barton running at 2346 Mhz (202 Mhz FSB) on an NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro
    >and I can't run the Far Cry demo smoothly even at 1024x768 (all details maxed).
    >I have my AF set to 16x forced on my Cat 4.4's on 98SE. Is this what's slowing
    >the Far Cry demo down to a crawl? The game just has points where it lags bad
    >for about a second then clears up and runs fine.
    >
    >Does the actual, released Far Cry game run any better than the demo?
    >-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    Loose the AF.

    I never played the demo on my machine, but the full release is
    stunning on my P4c-3.0 and AIW 9800SE (Unlocked pipes, so it's a
    9800pro) cat 4.3. I have 1 gig of ram and I've been told that helps.

    I let it auto detect my hardware (it detected I have a monster game
    machine) and just ran at the max setting is selected.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Dodgy, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Wblane

    johns Guest

    Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
    what you have? What is a Barton? Why are you running
    on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
    software mode no matter what hardware you have. I
    have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
    and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
    with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
    rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT, Gigabyte mobo,
    and 500meg ram. OS WinXPHome. Am using the
    latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
    difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
    new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
    system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
    to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
    surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
    game moved up a level regards special effects, but
    overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
    learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
    of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time, it is something
    like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
    or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
    and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
    will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.

    johns

    johns, Apr 27, 2004
  4. johns wrote:
    > Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
    > what you have?

    Oddly enough I understood *everything* in the original poster's message,
    but not so much in yours.

    > What is a Barton?

    I think most people "in the know" realize that a "Barton" is an AMD
    Athlon XP CPU with the newest core (333MHz FSB and 512k L2 cache.)

    > Why are you running
    > on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
    > software mode no matter what hardware you have.

    Wow. What the hell are you talking about? I don't even have a response
    to this drivel.

    > have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
    > and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
    > with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
    > rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT,

    Wait, an AMD 2000XT? What is that? And more importantly, how does that
    address the issue the orig poster had with his 9800Pro not performing
    like he expects on MAX settings? Basically, all you've said is "Hey, my
    hardware is totally different from yours, as well as all my game
    settings. But I'm getting what I consider to be acceptable performance
    on some unspecified resolution!" How very helpful of you.

    > Gigabyte mobo,
    > and 500meg ram.

    500meg? Perhaps your mean 512MB, as ram configurations typically occur
    in power of 2s.

    > OS WinXPHome. Am using the
    > latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
    > difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
    > new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
    > system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
    > to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
    > surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
    > game moved up a level regards special effects, but
    > overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
    > learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
    > of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time,

    I'm sorry. Were you just criticizing the previous poster for not
    "speaking English?" Would you care to explain what an "out of order
    weirdie" is exactly?

    > it is something
    > like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
    > or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
    > and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
    > will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.

    Wow. Your technical experience must be far and wide-reaching for you to
    reach the conclusion that "99%" of "out of order weirdies" are caused by
    "hot games" running on bad or noisy hard drive cables that are not fully
    seated. No wonder you get to criticize people on usenet, you've
    obviously earned the respect of your peers.

    --
    cK

    cK-Gunslinger, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Wblane

    Dodgy Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:29:42 -0700, "johns" <>
    waffled on about something:

    >Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
    >what you have?

    I thought he was.

    >What is a Barton?

    Athlon XP, from his overclock I would assume it's an XP 3200+

    >Why are you running on W98SE?

    I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
    clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
    running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
    IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Dodgy, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Wblane

    Asestar Guest

    Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

    As for problem: What is the size of pagefile for win98se you are using?.
    And like many said, drop the 16x AF to something like 4X or 8X. See if that
    makes the problem go away.
    Disable VPU recover, see if that helps.
    Is Fastwrites enabled in mobo bios? disable it.
    Set agp apperture to 1 notch higher than current setting, i think that might
    be the prime suspect.

    Asestar, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Wblane

    Augustus Guest

    "johns" <> wrote in message
    > Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
    > what you have? What is a Barton? Why are you running
    > on W98SE? There's your problem. 98 runs mostly in
    > software mode no matter what hardware you have. I
    > have an ATI Radeon 9000 pro, and both the game
    > and demo run fine. Autodetect put it in low settings
    > with one medium, but it looks great, and the frame
    > rate is fine. CPU is AMD 2000XT, Gigabyte mobo,
    > and 500meg ram. OS WinXPHome. Am using the
    > latest catalyst drivers for XP, and that did make a big
    > difference on the 9000. I've tested a 9200, and the
    > new drivers are needed there too. I just built a P4
    > system with an ATI 9600XT, and it autodetected
    > to medium settings all. Really looks good, esp the
    > surf and wind in the palm trees and brush. Entire
    > game moved up a level regards special effects, but
    > overall, the game play is the same. Something I've
    > learned over the years doing this. If you have an out
    > of order weirdie going on, 99% of the time, it is something
    > like the data cable to the hard drive is not fully seated,
    > or is just bad. I don't know why, but the general apps
    > and the OS will run normal, but hot games absolutely
    > will not run if your data cable is bad or noisy.
    >
    > johns

    This reply demonstrates ignorance and a complete lack of knowledge on the
    part of the poster. I especially liked the "try speaking English" opening,
    followed by 10 or 12 spelling, syntax and grammar errors.

    Augustus, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Wblane

    Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:31:54 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote:

    >Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

    True it was, but ..... the O/P never stated Win98, the 98 in dispute
    is an ATi 9800 Pro.

    Regards, BoroLad

    , Apr 27, 2004
  9. Wblane

    Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Dodgy
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:29:42 -0700, "johns" <>
    >waffled on about something:

    >>Why don't you try speaking English, so I can understand
    >>what you have?

    >I thought he was.

    >>What is a Barton?

    >Athlon XP, from his overclock I would assume it's an XP 3200+

    2500's run at 3200's on this MOBO

    >>Why are you running on W98SE?

    He's not, " NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro " the 9800 Pro is an ATi card and
    this is an ATi group.

    >I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
    >clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
    >running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
    >IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

    The O/P never stated Win98

    >D0d6y.

    Regards, BoroLad

    , Apr 27, 2004
  10. wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:31:54 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    > . n o> wrote:
    >

    >>Perhaps the most unhelpful reply of the month..

    > True it was, but ..... the O/P never stated Win98, the 98 in dispute
    > is an ATi 9800 Pro.
    >
    > Regards, BoroLad

    Quote the original poster: "I have my AF set to 16x forced on my Cat
    4.4's on 98SE"

    That would indicate to me that he *was* running Windows 98.

    cK-Gunslinger, Apr 27, 2004
  11. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Dodgy
    <> wrote:

    >>Why are you running on W98SE?

    >I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
    >clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
    >running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
    >IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

    Perhaps an Ad-Aware clean up might help, or an optimiser program?
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    XP Home
    L7S7A2 motherboard
    Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
    1 GB RAM
    10 GB + 80 GB HDs
    CD+DVD/CDRW drives

    Julian Richards, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Wblane

    Asestar Guest

    > >>Why are you running on W98SE?
    >
    > He's not, " NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro " the 9800 Pro is an ATi card and
    > this is an ATi group.

    > >I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
    > >clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
    > >running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
    > >IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

    > The O/P never stated Win98

    Read the 3rd line of original post again. "I have my AF set to 16x forced on
    my Cat 4.4's on 98SE".

    Which brings another question, is catalyst 4.4 AVAILABLE for win98
    anymore???? I tought cat4.3 was the last one?

    What the heck is going on??

    Asestar, Apr 27, 2004
  13. Wblane

    Asestar, Apr 27, 2004
  14. Wblane

    Asestar Guest

    Maybe that's the real problem! Somehow he managed to install a driver
    written for 2000/xp plateform on win98. That's just insane..

    Asestar, Apr 27, 2004
  15. Wblane

    patrickp Guest

    patrickp, Apr 27, 2004
  16. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    You're right it's CAT 4.3's, can't get Cat 4.4's for 98SE or ME.

    I've got an even stranger problem now. I upgraded the Far Cry demo by d'loading
    the research level. The new textures blink on and off and make the game
    impossible to play now. Could this be a Cat 4.3 issue?

    I"m going to try cranking down the AF by one notch.

    Wblane, Apr 28, 2004
  17. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    I just dropped the pagefile from 256MB to 128MB. I'm going to try dropping the
    AF to 8x next. BTW, I've heard that anything less than 8x AF on ATI vid-cards
    is a complete waste of time and unnoticeable. I still wish I could find the
    website that did a complete rundown on AF settings for both Nvidia and ATI it
    was the last word on AF.

    Fastwrites is enabled, it's never caused me a problem in any other game.

    I may try increasing the AGP aperture size but it's already at 512MB! The next
    step would be 1 GB!

    Wblane, Apr 28, 2004
  18. Wblane

    Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:05:07 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote:

    >> He's not, " NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro " the 9800 Pro is an ATi card and
    >> this is an ATi group.

    >> >I'm amazed anyone is still able to run this! The last one I saw was so
    >> >clogged up with registry left overs, spyware etc felt like it was
    >> >running on an original XT... Oh, sorry, English... Err... very early
    >> >IBM PC that had a 4.something Mhz cpu.

    >> The O/P never stated Win98

    >Read the 3rd line of original post again. "I have my AF set to 16x forced on
    >my Cat 4.4's on 98SE".

    Your right my wrong - Asestar & Dodgy - missed it - need new glasses !

    >Which brings another question, is catalyst 4.4 AVAILABLE for win98
    >anymore???? I tought cat4.3 was the last one?

    >What the heck is going on??

    >> >D0d6y.

    >> Regards, BoroLad

    BoroLad

    , Apr 28, 2004
  19. Wblane

    Guest

    On 28 Apr 2004 04:47:41 GMT, otizer (Wblane) wrote:

    >I just dropped the pagefile from 256MB to 128MB. I'm going to try dropping the
    >AF to 8x next. BTW, I've heard that anything less than 8x AF on ATI vid-cards
    >is a complete waste of time and unnoticeable. I still wish I could find the
    >website that did a complete rundown on AF settings for both Nvidia and ATI it
    >was the last word on AF.

    >Fastwrites is enabled, it's never caused me a problem in any other game.

    >I may try increasing the AGP aperture size but it's already at 512MB! The next
    >step would be 1 GB!

    That means you are allowing your O/S to ' call ' 512MB of your system
    ram - how much ram in your machine ?

    Bit speculative but, instead of increasing it, try going down to 64MB.
    Have you tried disabling video & system shadowing/caching ?

    >>As for problem: What is the size of pagefile for win98se you are using?.
    >>And like many said, drop the 16x AF to something like 4X or 8X. See if that
    >>makes the problem go away.
    >>Disable VPU recover, see if that helps.
    >>Is Fastwrites enabled in mobo bios? disable it.
    >>Set agp apperture to 1 notch higher than current setting, i think that might
    >>be the prime suspect.

    >-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    BoroLad

    , Apr 28, 2004
  20. Wblane

    Dodgy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:32:46 +0100,
    waffled on about something:

    >>> He's not, " NF7sv2.0 w/a 9800 Pro " the 9800 Pro is an ATi card and
    >>> this is an ATi group.

    >>> The O/P never stated Win98

    >>Read the 3rd line of original post again. "I have my AF set to 16x forced on
    >>my Cat 4.4's on 98SE".

    >Your right my wrong - Asestar & Dodgy - missed it - need new glasses !

    You're forgiven, but I think we're going to save the glasses for the
    O/P. He's gonna need them more after looking at those blinking
    textures!

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES