FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - unofficial March posting

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
    Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
    news group.

    --- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---

    http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
    response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
    It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.

    A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
    (1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
    (2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
    _have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
    put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
    (3) Do not attach anything to a message.
    (4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    (5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
    bottom for sample.)

    The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.

    A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
    http://addbalance.com/word

    Newsgroup Archives:

    Best way to access these newsgroups:
    http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

    MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/

    ---

    Also, before posting, you might want to look at the following
    questions to see if yours is among them.

    1. How can I change the default font from Times Roman New 10pt to
    something else?
    http://addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm

    2. Page X of Y doesn't work! (You're right, it doesn't!)
    http://addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

    3. How do I insert a date? Why does it (not) change when I
    re-open the document?
    http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

    4. How can I use calculated dates in Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm

    5. How can I get a different header/footer on the second (and
    subsequent) page(s)?
    http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm

    6. What are some good books for me to read about Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordbooks.htm or
    http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/BookRecommendations.htm

    7. How can I best use the Master Document feature?
    http://addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

    8. Word 2K - How can I keep Word from opening separately for
    every document?
    http://addbalance.com/word/w2000taskbar.htm

    9. Where can I find more information on the Web?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm

    10. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& paperclip?
    http://addbalance.com/word/officeassistant.htm

    11. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& web toolbar?
    http://addbalance.com/word/webtoolbar.htm
    (Works for reviewing toolbar, too!)

    12. How can I get rid of that weird line that appears
    magically?
    http://addbalance.com/word/borders.htm
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm

    13. Why doesn't Word's Fonts list show all of the fonts I
    have installed in Windows?
    http://addbalance.com/word/fontsmissing.htm

    14. What are some basic tips for someone who is converting
    from Word Perfect?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm

    15. How do I use (What is?) the Work menu?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm
    http://addbalance.com/word/workmenu.htm

    16. What are some common errors people make with Word?
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordcommonerrors.htm and
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/TipsAndGotchas.htm

    17. How can I print a booklet?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/BookletPrinting.htm

    18. How can I get a template to show up under a tab with
    File => New?
    What are templates? Global templates? Document templates?
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

    19. I need to make a form to...
    If you want a fill-in-the-blanks form you want what Word
    calls an online form. Look in help for that and then follow
    the links at:
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms
    especially Dian Chapman's series of articles

    If you want a custom dialog box that you code with VBA
    commands you want a UserForm. Take a look at:
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Userforms.htm

    20. How can I enter something once in a document and have it
    repeat elsewhere?
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

    21. I keep getting insufficient memory errors...
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/InsufficientMemory.htm

    22. All my menus / toolbars have disappeared! Help.
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

    23. Changes I make to my toolbars / AutoText aren't saved! If you
    have Adobe Acrobat version 7, see the last section of
    http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adobe_acrobat_toolbar.htm

    24. When I try to delete I have to confirm it.
    Tools => Options => General -- uncheck the two Word Perfect
    options

    25. I lost my CD Key, disks, etc. and can't reinstall with out it.
    If Word came with your computer contact the manufacturer. If
    you got it separately, contact Microsoft. Starting place:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823570

    26. I'm having trouble with automatic numbering! There's more to
    this than meets the eye.
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

    27. I am asked if I want to save changes to the global template
    every time I quit Word.
    http://addbalance.com/word/savenormal.htm
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011514521033.aspx

    28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
    Can't save normal.dot...
    If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
    http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adobe_acrobat_toolbar.htm.
    Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
    menu and select Save All.
    See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

    29. My blank document has text in it - an old letter, etc. See
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm.

    30. I changed the formatting on one thing and now my whole document
    has changed.
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm

    31. Documents take a very long time to open.
    See http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=830561.

    32. I need to set up a letterhead template.
    http://addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm
    http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

    33. Where can I find a good tutorial?
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm
    http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Tutorials
    http://www.mvps.org/word/Tutorials/index.html

    34. What is an MVP?
    http://www.mvps.org/word/AboutMVPs/index.html and
    http://addbalance.com/word/mvp.htm

    There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
    and answers, take a look at:
    http://addbalance.com/word/index.htm and
    http://www.mvps.org/word

    Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
    mailto: . Change the address by
    taking out nospam.

    Posted 3 March 2006

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Charles Kenyon

    Guest Guest

    RE: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - un

    There's much useful information here. Is there any way you can post it to a
    more "permanent" location on this site? By tomorrow it will be off the first
    page, and by next week it will be buried so deeply that nobody will find it.

    Guest, Mar 3, 2006

  3. In the introduction to the FAQ is a link to the permanent location. You can
    find it easily by searching Google using the terms "Microsoft Word question"
    or "Microsoft Word FAQ." There is a much more comprensive site mentioned as
    well, the MVP FAQ site. See below in the quoted text where you will find
    links to both my site and the MVP FAQ site.

    The message FAQ is posted almost weekly and a search for FAQ in the
    newsgroups will bring it up. I don't have control over how you see it on
    your computer, it all depends on how you are accessing the newsgroups. The
    best way to use these newsgroups is not with a web browser but with a news
    agent (like Outlook Express) and links that are in the posted FAQ will show
    you how to do that. (See below.) If you do that, each weekly posting will
    show up at the top of your screen when you have it set to show new posts.

    A some regular contributors don't like it posted as often as it is because
    it clutters up the newsgroup. Posting it as a weekly message like this is,
    like many things, a compromise. It is intended to give answers to some
    frequent questions and provide links to more comprehensive resources. Like
    others who post here, I don't work for Microsoft and have no control over
    their website or newsgroups. I'm simply a fellow Word user.

    Thank you though, for your suggestion.
    --
    Charles Kenyon

    from my ignorance and your wisdom.

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Charles Kenyon

    Guest

    I'm just learning, just found FAQ and see i shouldn't put in my email
    address. How can I change it once i did.

    , Mar 3, 2006
  5. If using Outlook Express, change the information on your account. (Under the
    Tools menu.)

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Charles Kenyon

    Beth Melton Guest

    Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - please read before posting - un

    Unfortunately this is one of the issues with using the web interface
    on the Microsoft site to access the newsgroups - the posts are in a
    'page' view. If you plan on hanging out in the newsgroups then I
    suggest you use a news reader such as Outlook Express. If you can use
    OE then this link will add this newsgroup for you:

    Otherwise, if you want to consult the FAQ then you can search for FAQ
    to located it.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

    "Idaho Word Man" <> wrote in
    message news:D...

    Beth Melton, Mar 5, 2006
  7. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 10 March 2006

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 10, 2006
  8. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 18 March 2006

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 19, 2006
  9. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial

    Posted 28 March 2006

    Charles Kenyon, editor

    Charles Kenyon, Mar 27, 2006