    motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
    (2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
    Thank you very much.

    Hellenason7, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Hellenason7

    DaveW Guest

    If you change the motherboard in an existing system, you MUST reformat the
    harddrive and do a fresh install of Windows or you will get ongoing nasty
    Registry errors.

    --
    DaveW

    "Hellenason7" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change

    the

    DaveW, Jun 8, 2004

  3. "DaveW" wrote

    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/index.htm

    MasterBlaster, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Hellenason7

    Memphoman Guest

    On 06 Jun 2004 20:04:25 GMT, (Hellenason7) wrote:

    > Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change the
    >motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
    >(2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
    > Thank you very much.

    My last 2 MB swapped were done WITHOUT reformatting hard drives.
    Install new MB, boot OS CD, do a repair, and all will be well. As
    always, complete backup should be accomplished prior to...This has
    worked fine for me, using XP Pro

    Memphoman, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Hellenason7

    Arnie Berger Guest

    (Hellenason7) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there a FAQ to help me follow the right steps when I change the
    > motherboard and CPU? I am about to swap out a P4T533-C for a P4800-E Deluxe
    > (2.26 ---> 3.0 CPU). I don't want to lose my hard drives.
    > Thank you very much.

    If you aren't changing the MOBO partitioning and file system, then
    there is no reason to reformat it. You can, of course, but I don't
    think it is absolutely necessary. You should back up your important
    files and then swap out the old MOBO for the new and do a complete
    re-install of the O/S. There is a good likelihood that it will work if
    you do a repair instead of a new install, but I would play it safe.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, Jun 9, 2004