Outlook Failing to open Outlook.PST file

Reaction score
A PC running Windows XP and Outlook failed. I have rescued the Outlook.pst file from the hard disk.

When I attempt to open this file in another PC also running XP and Outlook I get the following message:

"Outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service.
Contact your administrator."

Can anyone cast some light on this ?

I believe the old PC was running Outlook 2000 and get the above message with both Outlook 2000 and 2002

With Outlook 2000 I get an additional message prior to the one above saying:

"Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use".

The PST file is 250MB. It is not read only.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds like your file has been corrupted perhaps.

Do a search on your C:/ for SCANPST.EXE

Make a copy of your .pst file and run the above util on the copy.

Cheers,

Rich

Reaction score
Read the Poat, then Post

Is there any chance you can actually READ what was posted before replying? The poster is saying there is an incompatibility issue. It has nothing to do with a corrupt PST. If you don't have a solution, DON'T POST !!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Offred said:
Is there any chance you can actually READ what was posted before replying? The poster is saying there is an incompatibility issue. It has nothing to do with a corrupt PST. If you don't have a solution, DON'T POST !!
Offred, you have only made two posts to this site - both criticising others without offering anything of your own. Mudfrog's suggestion was perfectly valid and worth a try, as this can happen to corrupt files.

This isn't in the spirt of our forums at all, and you don't seem to have anything to offer - bye bye :)

How about following your own advice "If you don't have a solution, DON'T POST !!"

Reaction score
Good reply Ian, and tell offred do not offer anymore. I think mudfrog solution is the only way to fix this .pst file.
By the way, i'm searching the internet , perhaps i might find something about it.

Reaction score
Having similar problem. In my case the pst went over 2gb. I used the pst2gb.exe downloaded from MS and reduced it by 50 meg. Then ran Scanpst.exe to fix errors. Tried to import in both Outlook 2000 and 2003 and get "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". If I try to open it tells me that the file is corrupt and to run inbox repair tool (ScanPST.exe) which I do and it says it found and fixed errors and then go to open again get corrupt message again. Ran ScanPST again and tried to import and got "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" again... Found a third party app called AOR that looked promising so I downloaded the demo and installed it only to find out the demo replaces your data with demo stuff and you have to pay $25 for full version that may not work... now I'm ready for the guys in the white coats....

Reaction score
I gave up in the end trying to solve this problem. The underlying cause in my case was (I believe) due to the PST file coming from Outlook Exchange on an network and needing to login into the network to get permission to read the file. The failure message does not indicate this is the problem but if you Wildbilly have a similar situation it may point you in the right direction.

Reaction score
Inbox Repair Tool

It Seems your .pst file is corrupted, try the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to recover folders and items from a corrupted Personal Folders (.pst) file in Microsoft Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, and Outlook 2007. which is a hidden file that is installed automatically when you install Windows.
For detailed information visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

However this utility does not work in all cases, there are some limitations of this utility. In that case you may also try an advanced PST repair Software which can repair your .pst file in all corruption situations.
Evaluate the software here: http://www.repair-outlook-pst.com/download-pst-recovery.php

Vofsanity said:
A PC running Windows XP and Outlook failed. I have rescued the Outlook.pst file from the hard disk.

When I attempt to open this file in another PC also running XP and Outlook I get the following message:

"Outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service.
Contact your administrator."

Can anyone cast some light on this ?

I believe the old PC was running Outlook 2000 and get the above message with both Outlook 2000 and 2002

With Outlook 2000 I get an additional message prior to the one above saying:

"Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use".

The PST file is 250MB. It is not read only.

Ask a Question