Windows XP Failing to Connect to the System Drive of a Laptop

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am dropping application packages such as Adobe and Office onto a DELL Latitude D420 using Novell Altiris. Altiris is a standard package dropper, but due to the instability of the average package dropper, I would like to check progress of dropping packages from a desktop PC.

I tried to access the system drive of laptop from the desktop PC by either specifying the IP address or hostname of the laptop in the Run dialog box as follows:

\\10.155.82.38\c$

\\hostname\c$

where the hostname is the actual computer name of the laptop. I confirmed that both the IP address and hostname are pingable. However, the desktop PC keeps failing to connect to the C drive.

Would someone tell me what settings need to be turned on in order to access the system drive?

Thank you in advance,

Ead

Reaction score
If this is your own home network you could just share the C drive on the laptop once you have done this you would be able to access it you said above.

Depending on the permissions you apply you may need to type in a username and password upon connecting to the share.

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed stating in my first thread that I was attempting to access the said drive in a corporate environment, so all the accesses from Run dialog box/Search box by entering UNC paths are prohibited. I guess it is prohibited by GPO so there is no workaround except for requesting a change to GPO to be made.

Ask a Question