    Could some one please tell me what this is?

    Have a good day!

    RScotti

    RScotti, Nov 11, 2006

  2. RScotti

    Malke Guest

    RScotti wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Besides having bad clusters on my HD. I found out I also have this
    > from my PC Doctor 5 for Windows:
    > "Failed Short Self Test" Error code: HD521-2W
    >
    > Could some one please tell me what this is?

    Your hard drive is failing. Back up your data immediately and replace
    the hard drive. Clean-install Windows.

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows -
    What you will need on-hand

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Nov 11, 2006

  3. RScotti

    RScotti Guest

    Thanks,
    I just had HP replace it. Since I already had bad sectors I wanted to know if this was a new problem.

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 04:02:32 -0800, Malke <> wrote:

    >RScotti wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Besides having bad clusters on my HD. I found out I also have this
    >> from my PC Doctor 5 for Windows:
    >> "Failed Short Self Test" Error code: HD521-2W
    >>
    >> Could some one please tell me what this is?

    >Your hard drive is failing. Back up your data immediately and replace
    >the hard drive. Clean-install Windows.
    >
    >http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
    >http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows -
    >What you will need on-hand
    >
    >Malke

    Have a good day,
    RScotti

    remove "nospam" in order to email me.

    RScotti, Nov 11, 2006
  4. RScotti

    Malke Guest

    MISSIE wrote:
    > Hi there, i also have this problem, i see you advise to backup. what can
    > i do if i cant even get my computer to start up, is there any way i can
    > backup or have i lost everything.
    >
    > From a worried user!?
    >
    > A reply would be appreciated:biggrin:

    Since you didn't quote any of the previous post, I don't know what "this
    problem" means. However, I'm going to guess that your hard drive has
    failed. If the computer will not boot, there are a few things you can do
    to try and get data off the drive. Success depends on how badly the
    drive is damaged. When this is all over, create and implement a backup
    strategy so you don't lose data again.

    General data recovery methods:

    *IMPORTANT* - If there is any question that the drive is at fault - it's
    making noises for instance - and the data is crucial DO NOTHING FURTHER
    ON THE DRIVE. Every time you spin that drive up you may be destroying
    data. If this is the case, send the drive to a professional data
    recovery company like Drive Savers (my preference) or Seagate Data
    Recovery. General prices run from $500USD on up. Drive Savers recovered
    all the data on a failed laptop drive for one of my clients and it cost
    $2,700. He thought it was worth the money; only you know what your data
    is worth. I understand that some insurance companies are now covering
    data recovery charges so check with yours.

    Drive Savers - http://www.drivesavers.com
    Seagate Data Recovery Services - https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/

    If you don't want to send the drive to a professional data recovery
    company, you can try:

    1. Pull the drive and slave it in a computer running a working install
    of XP. Depending on the target drive's characteristics, you may need a
    drive adapter; i.e., laptop-to-IDE or a SATA controller card, etc. A
    usb/firewire external drive enclosure works very well, too. Use the
    working Windows Explorer to copy the data to the rescue system's hard
    drive and then burn the data to cd or dvd.

    2. Often XP will not boot with a slaved drive that has a damaged file
    system. In that case, boot the target computer with either a Bart's PE
    or a Linux live cd such as Knoppix and retrieve the data that way. Here
    is general information on using Knoppix for this:

    You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw
    OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an
    external usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS). To get
    Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
    third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your
    bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows
    files. If you are using the usb thumb drive or the external hard drive,
    right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to get its properties and
    uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then click on it to open it. Note
    that the default mouse action in the window manager used by Knoppix
    (KDE) is a single click to open instead of the traditional MS Windows'
    double-click. Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to burn the files
    to cd/dvd-r's.

    http://www.knoppix.net
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - Bart's PE Builder

    If you can't get data off by attaching the drive to a working XP system
    or by booting with Knoppix, then data recovery software will in all
    probability not work because the hard drive is too physically damaged.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Re: "Failed Short Self Test" Error code: HD521-2W

    "MISSIE" <> wrote:

    > Hi there, i also have this problem,

    What problem - since you failed to quote it's not clear what problem
    you're referring to in particular.

    > i see you advise to backup. what can
    > i do if i cant even get my computer to start up,

    Referring to the subject line, that error message is a BIOS message
    rather than a Windows message and that error code may or may not be
    related to a defective hard disk.

    > is there any way i can backup or have i lost everything.

    If the hard disk has gone south and no backup had been made, special
    companies might be able to restore some/most data. However, this is
    pretty expensive.

    http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/hard-drive-recovery/

    --
    d-d