Faded or DimmedFolder Box

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Watty, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. Watty

    Watty Guest

    I'm trying to find some files with a specific suffix. Search doesn't find
    them, so I've concluded they are hidden. I think I have properly made all
    files visible. However, there's an oddity. If I try to descend into folderw
    where I think the files should be expected, I see folders that are dimmed
    (yellow), but their contents are still accessible. What does the dimming mean?

    The files I'm looking for are should be below Settings and Documents down
    through Application Data. The trouble is on my fairly new Gateway laptop
    with Media XP. With the same program on my desktop with XP Pro, I have no
    trouble finding the files I seek.

    "Running [your car's air] conditioner, while it does draw power
    from the vehicle's engine, only reduced each vehicle's fuel
    economy by about 1 mile per gallon." -- Consumer Reports/CNN

    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

    Watty, Jul 3, 2007

  2. Watty

    Mark F. Guest

    Watty wrote:
    > I'm trying to find some files with a specific suffix. Search doesn't find
    > them, so I've concluded they are hidden. I think I have properly made all
    > files visible. However, there's an oddity. If I try to descend into folderw
    > where I think the files should be expected, I see folders that are
    > dimmed (yellow), but their contents are still accessible. What does the
    > dimming mean?
    >
    > The files I'm looking for are should be below Settings and Documents down
    > through Application Data. The trouble is on my fairly new Gateway laptop
    > with Media XP. With the same program on my desktop with XP Pro, I have no
    > trouble finding the files I seek.

    Files that appear dim are have their hidden file attribute set.

    Mark

    Mark F., Jul 3, 2007

  3. Watty

    W. Watson Guest

    Under Tools, I have show hidden files. Shouldn't that show everything?

    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

    W. Watson, Jul 4, 2007
  4. Watty

    Mark F. Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Under Tools, I have show hidden files. Shouldn't that show everything?

    In the Folder Options dialog select the "View" tab. In the Advanced
    Settings list box you will see "Hide protected operating system files
    (Recommended)". Uncheck it to display files with +S+H attributes. Above
    that there is a radio (round bullet) button that says "Show hidden files
    and folders". It needs to be checked.

    The files(s) will still appear dimmed which denotes hidden.

    HTH
    Mark

    Mark F., Jul 4, 2007
  5. Watty

    Ron Badour Guest

    Folders that are dimmed are those that would normally be hidden but you have
    chosen to unhide them in Folder Options.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour
    MS MVP 1997 - 2007

    Ron Badour, Jul 5, 2007
  6. Watty

    W. Watson Guest

    Ah, ha. Yet another box ("Hide Protected).

    What I'm trying to do is discover a folder and files on my laptop that ought
    to be under Set&Doc, but Search isn't finding them. They are application
    files and the same application is installed on my desktop. I can find them
    easily with a Search. Even from the top level directory (C:/) on the laptop,
    they are not showing up. The application does run.

    Hmmm, I just found them, but drilling down through Set&Doc. Very odd. At
    least I know where they are, and now I can play with them. Maybe it had
    something to do with using the two buttons under the View tab for "Apply
    All" and "Reset All".

    As a new question, why does Folder Options sometimes produce a dialog window
    with 2 tabs and at other times 4 tabs?

    W. Watson, Jul 6, 2007