    Any suggestions?

    Many Thanks

    Nick

    Nick Bradbury, Feb 16, 2009

  2. Nick Bradbury

    Lem Guest

    Nick Bradbury wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a computer running XP Pro with 1 hard disk, my problem is that the
    > system partion is full, there is plenty of space on the logical drive d: I
    > have looked at microsofts XP help and it appears that using diskpart. exe
    > utility is not an option.
    >
    > Ideally I want to remove the logical drive d: and just have a c: drive, both
    > are formatted as NTFS.Pprefereably I would like to do this without
    > reformatting the whole disk and a full re-install.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    You need 3rd-party disk partitioning software to do this. Partition
    Magic is one; BootIt Next Generation is another; I've used Acronis Disk
    Director with no problems.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Feb 16, 2009

  3. "Nick Bradbury" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a computer running XP Pro with 1 hard disk, my problem is that the
    > system partion is full, there is plenty of space on the logical drive d: I
    > have looked at microsofts XP help and it appears that using diskpart. exe
    > utility is not an option.
    >
    > Ideally I want to remove the logical drive d: and just have a c: drive,
    > both are formatted as NTFS.Pprefereably I would like to do this without
    > reformatting the whole disk and a full re-install.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    XP has no native tools for this, aside from Diskpart, and that only supports
    creation and deletion of system or boot partitions, not extending them. On
    non-system or boot partitions, it can only extend to contigious space.

    So, you're left with basically three choices:
    3rd party tools ( including Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic);

    Backing up the drive, deleting the partitions and starting over with the
    structure you now want, or,

    Getting another larger hard disk, and using cloning or imaging software such
    as Acronis TrueImage to clone to the new disk, altering the partition sizes
    as you go. You can use the free demo version of TrueImage for this.

    Check the manufacturing date stamped on your hard disk. If it's a few
    years old, you might consider replacing it as a matter of policy - drives do
    wear out. For reference, where I am, half-terabyte drives are around $100
    or less.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Nick Bradbury

    Anna Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a computer running XP Pro with 1 hard disk, my problem is that the
    > system partion is full, there is plenty of space on the logical drive d: I
    > have looked at microsofts XP help and it appears that using diskpart. exe
    > utility is not an option.
    >
    > Ideally I want to remove the logical drive d: and just have a c: drive,
    > both are formatted as NTFS.Pprefereably I would like to do this without
    > reformatting the whole disk and a full re-install.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    Nick:
    Try the EASEUS Partition Manager. It's freely available from
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

    It's a good idea before you use that software or any partition management
    type of program to copy from your HDD whatever data is important to you.
    Better yet would be to clone the contents of your HDD to another HDD just in
    case things go awry. Based on our experience with this program it seems
    reliable enough, but there's always the chance something can go wrong
    resulting in a loss of data.
    Anna

    Anna, Feb 16, 2009
  5. Nick Bradbury

    Gerry Guest

    Nick

    You can create more free space in C by
    carrying any of the measures suggested below.

    The default allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition
    which is over generous. I would reduce it to 700 mb. Right click your My
    Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore. Place the cursor
    on your C drive select Settings but this time find the slider and drag
    it to the left until it reads 700 mb and exit. When you get to the
    Settings screen click on Apply and OK and exit.

    A default setting which could be wasteful is that for temporary internet
    files, especially if you do not store offline copies on disk. The
    default allocation is 3% of drive. Depending on your attitude to offline
    copies you could reduce this to 1% or 2%. In Internet Explorer select
    Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings to
    make the change. At the same time look at the number of days history is
    held.

    The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change to
    5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the cursor
    on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and
    move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get
    too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will
    bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

    If your drive is formatted as NTFS another potential gain arises with
    your operating system on your C drive. In the Windows Directory of
    your C partition you will have some Uninstall folders in your Windows
    folder typically: $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallKB282010$
    etc. These files may be compressed or not compressed. If compressed
    the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. If not
    compressed you can compress them. Right click on each folder and
    select Properties, General, Advanced and check the box before Compress
    contents to save Disk Space. On the General Tab you can see the amount
    gained by deducting the size on disk from the size. Folder
    compression is only an option on a NTFS formatted drive / partition.

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System
    Information, Tools, Dr Watson and verify that the box before "Append to
    existing log" is NOT checked. This means the next time the log is
    written it will overwrite rather than add to the existing file.

    The default maximum size setting for Event Viewer logs is too large.
    Reset the maximum for each log from 512 kb to 128 kb and set it to
    overwrite.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

    You can generate more space in the system partition by relocation of
    folders.

    For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
    Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

    To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
    Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    You may also need to change Default File locations in the Microsoft
    Office programmes you choose to move the My Documents folder. For Word
    go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on
    Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General
    and change default file path.

    My Documents is one of a number of system created Special Folders
    including My Pictures and My Music. These can more easily be relocated
    using Tweak Ui. Download TweakUI, one of the MS powertoys, from here:

    In TweakUi select My Computer, Special Folders. You can scroll down to
    see the full list of Special Folders to the left of the Change
    Location button.

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to
    Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also
    select Start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
    More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
    Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Feb 17, 2009
  6. Nick Bradbury

    Twayne Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > Nick Bradbury wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a computer running XP Pro with 1 hard disk, my problem is
    >> that the system partion is full, there is plenty of space on the
    >> logical drive d: I have looked at microsofts XP help and it appears
    >> that using diskpart. exe utility is not an option.
    >>
    >> Ideally I want to remove the logical drive d: and just have a c:
    >> drive, both are formatted as NTFS.Pprefereably I would like to do
    >> this without reformatting the whole disk and a full re-install.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>

    > You need 3rd-party disk partitioning software to do this. Partition
    > Magic is one; BootIt Next Generation is another; I've used Acronis
    > Disk Director with no problems.

    But you had still better back up your important data first, especially
    since they are new progs to you.

    Twayne, Feb 17, 2009