Extending a File System Partition for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by Guest, Aug 12, 2006.

    Hi,

    I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C Drive).

    I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps saying:
    DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
    Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.

    It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you can't
    extend the filesystem, but then read in numerous other places that you can
    with FSEXTEND.EXE.

    I have tried to find this file but can't obtain it, and everyone says that
    they have tried to get it from Microsoft but that they don't know anything
    about it.

    Can anyone help me with this, as when I purchased my computer it was split
    into two partitions and the file system is very small compared to the other
    partition.

    The file system is NTFS

    Thanks in advance for any help on this.

    Kind Regards,

    Grant.

    Guest, Aug 12, 2006

    Kerry Brown Guest

    You can't extend the system partition with the built in tools in XP. You
    need third party software.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Aug 12, 2006

    Hi Kerry,

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    Do you have any suggestions on any third party solutions (preferrable free,
    but any suggestions would do)

    Kind Regards,

    Grant.

    Guest, Aug 12, 2006

    Hi Kerry,

    I got this information from the internet.

    This hotfix includes a new Diskpart.exe utility command (extend filesystem)
    that you can use to extend the file system only. After you install the
    hotfix, to extend the file system only, type the following commands at the
    Diskpart prompt:

    DISKPART> select volume #

    Where # is the NTFS volume number of the volume where you want to extend the
    file system.

    DISKPART> extend filesystem

    I got it from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832316

    It seems (from a number of people's responses) that this works quite well.

    I just can't obtain the FSEXTEND.EXE file which is the hotfix.

    Kind Regards,

    Grant.

    Guest, Aug 12, 2006

    Kerry Brown Guest

    You can't extend the system volume other than by mounting another volume to
    a specific folder. Here's a Google search for software that is able to do
    this. Make sure you have a backup of all partitions before attempting this.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+free+partition+editor&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Aug 12, 2006
  6. Grant wrote:

    > I am trying to extend the capacity of my File System Partition (C
    > Drive).
    >
    > I have tried to use the [extend] function in DiskPart, but it keeps
    > saying: DiskPart failed to extend the volume.
    > Please make sure the volume is valid for extending.
    >
    > It is a Basic disk (not dynamic) and I have read somewhere that you
    > can't extend the filesystem,

    That's correct. Unfortunately, no version of Windows provides any way of
    changing the existing partition structure of the drive nondestructively. The
    only way to do what you want is with third-party software. Partition Magic
    is the best-known such program, but there are freeware/shareware
    alternatives. One such program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware,
    but comes with a free 30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you
    want within that 30 days. I haven't used it myself (because I've never
    needed to use *any* such program), but it comes highly recommended by
    several other MVPs here.

    Whatever software you use, make sure you have a good backup before
    beginning. Although there's no reason to expect a problem, things *can* go
    wrong.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Aug 12, 2006

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Today, =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?= made these interesting comments ...

    > Hi Kerry,
    >
    > Thanks for your quick reply.
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions on any third party solutions
    > (preferrable free, but any suggestions would do)

    Partition Magic or Partition Commander, both about $100. I
    understand the concept of "free" but I have never understood
    someone wanting to risk their entire system and all of their
    data, not to mention days and days of re-setup time on somebody's
    freeware, but then, that's my view, YMMD

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    Member, Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association (CEMA)
    http://www.cemaclub.org/default.html

    HEMI-Powered, Aug 12, 2006

    Lawrencewu

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Extend dystem partition without data loss

    There is a FREE partition software that help to extend the partition easily and safely. It also do not need a reboot with on your NTFS partition. Here is the detailed solution.

    http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-ntfs-system-partition-without-reboot.htm

    By the way, it is also useful when you want to backup data, upgrade a small disk to a larger one and transfer data, etc.

    Lawrencewu, Oct 20, 2009