    4 partition on .
    C (boot partition have low space)
    how to extend the boot partition.

    Arvind Dahiya _ SNP, Jun 18, 2009

  2. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    Gerry Guest

    Arvind

    You can use a third party partition manager to enlarge the system
    partition by taking space from another partition on the drive.
    http://snurl.com/kczpx [www_google_co_uk]

    The other way to resolve your problem is to move files to other
    partitions. The practicalities depend on how much space you need to gain
    and the amount of space available elsewhere. If this solution is not
    practical you need to increase free space by adding an extra drive or
    reinstalling your system on a larger drive. You can use imaging software
    to place a clone of your drive on a larger drive.

    The default allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition
    which is over generous. I would reduce it to 700 mb. Right click your My
    Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore. Place the cursor
    on your C drive select Settings but this time find the slider and drag
    it to the left until it reads 700 mb and exit. When you get to the
    Settings screen click on Apply and OK and exit.

    A default setting which could be wasteful is that for temporary internet
    files, especially if you do not store offline copies on disk. The
    default allocation is 3% of drive. Depending on your attitude to offline
    copies you could reduce this to 1% or 2%. In Internet Explorer select
    Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings to
    make the change. At the same time look at the number of days history is
    held.

    The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change to
    5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the cursor
    on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and
    move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get
    too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will
    bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

    If your drive is formatted as NTFS another potential gain arises with
    your operating system on your C drive. In the Windows Directory of
    your C partition you will have some Uninstall folders in your Windows
    folder typically: $NtServicePackUninstall$ and $NtUninstallKB282010$
    etc. These files may be compressed or not compressed. If compressed
    the text of the folder name appears in blue characters. If not
    compressed you can compress them. Right click on each folder and
    select Properties, General, Advanced and check the box before Compress
    contents to save Disk Space. On the General Tab you can see the amount
    gained by deducting the size on disk from the size. Folder
    compression is only an option on a NTFS formatted drive / partition.

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System
    Information, Tools, Dr Watson and verify that the box before "Append to
    existing log" is NOT checked. This means the next time the log is
    written it will overwrite rather than add to the existing file.

    You can generate more space in the system partition by relocation of
    folders.

    For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
    Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

    To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
    Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

    You may also need to change Default File locations in the Microsoft
    Office programmes you choose to move the My Documents folder. For Word
    go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents, click on
    Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options, General
    and change default file path.

    My Documents is one of a number of system created Special Folders
    including My Pictures and My Music. These can more easily be relocated
    using Tweak Ui. Download TweakUI, one of the MS powertoys, from here:

    In TweakUi select My Computer, Special Folders. You can scroll down to
    see the full list of Special Folders to the left of the Change
    Location button.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Jun 18, 2009

  3. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    Twayne Guest

    Arvind Dahiya _ SNP wrote:
    > Windows Server 2003 SP1 with RAID 5
    > HDD 36 X3
    > 4 partition on .
    > C (boot partition have low space)
    > how to extend the boot partition.

    3rd party partition manager such as Partitioin Magic.
    Or image, repartition and restore.
    Or rebuild
    or go to win srvr 2k3 group

    Twayne, Jun 18, 2009
  4. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    Peter Foldes Guest

    All depends if you are now set for AD or DC on the Server. This is an XP newsgroup
    and not a server related one.

    If your server is set for AD then follow the advice that Gerry posted. If it is set
    up as a DC then you have a problem.(No can do without removing the Raid assembly and
    you know what that means)
    --
    Peter

    "Arvind Dahiya _ SNP" <Arvind Dahiya _ > wrote in
    message news:...

    Peter Foldes, Jun 18, 2009
  5. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    zhuq

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    London, UK
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    zhuq, Aug 10, 2009
  6. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    qiang

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Great

    thank you zhuq, I used this product and it saved me a lot. amazing, it doesn't need reboot after install or increase the OS, my server works weill without downtime, great!

    qiang, Aug 13, 2009
  7. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    sandywu

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is the boot partition on the RAID 5 array?

    If it is, the disk management tool will not allow you to extend with the built-in extend/shrink volume.

    You may find another solution here to extend your boot partition of Windows server with RAID 5: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/expand-raid-5-array.htm

    sandywu, Sep 22, 2009
  8. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    shun

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are many tools that can expand the boot partition, for example, diskpart commands line, free tool, but the shortage is that you can expand the partition only when there is unallocated space behind it.
    another choice, gparted, Linux CD, free, but you have to turn off the computer, many servers cannot do this.
    the most suitable tool maybe partition master, see this guide how to resize raid 5 partition

    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    shun, Nov 20, 2009
  9. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    exsys

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    exsys, Feb 3, 2010
  10. Arvind Dahiya _ SNP

    quesionboy

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The partition magic could not work on Windows Server OS, you could try the latest free server partition softwre-Partition Assistant Lite which enable you free resize partition on Windows Server OS.

    quesionboy, Aug 7, 2012