exporting/importing messages from one computer to another (and outlook express to windows mail)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Mail' started by lisa, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. lisa

    lisa Guest

    i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations (over
    8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
    i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
    mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
    alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which one
    i need to use.

    i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails that i
    can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way to get the
    e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
    (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)

    i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable modem
    at once, or if that would even help with this problem

    any help appreciated -
    semi-computer illiterate -
    lisa

    lisa, Dec 31, 2007

  2. lisa

    Guest Guest

    "lisa" <> wrote in message
    > i'm not sure if this is possible given my old computer's limitations (over
    > 8yrs old, can't burn cds and won't read flash drives)
    > i have finally progressed to a laptop on which i have set up my windows
    > mail - on my old computer i've got outlook express. right now, i'm
    > alternating my internet hookup from one to the other, depending on which
    > one i need to use.
    >
    > i'm kind of an e-mail pack rat - i've got tons of info in old e-mails that
    > i can't part with - i'm hoping there is some relatively simple way to get
    > the e-mails from my old computer to my new one -
    > (aside from spending days or weeks e-mailing them to myself)
    >
    > i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable modem
    > at once, or if that would even help with this problem
    >
    > any help appreciated -
    > semi-computer illiterate -
    > lisa

    Do both your old computer and your new one have floppy drives?

    Here's some instructions for transferring from Outlook Express under
    XP. I don't know if they also work for transferring from an older
    version of Windows.

    <http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/email/import-dbx-files-outlook-express-windows-mail-vista-86458.html>

    <http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail>

    As for connecting both at once to your cable modem, it probably depends
    on what type of cable modem you have.

    Guest, Dec 31, 2007

  3. "> i don't know if there is a way to connect both computers to my cable
    modem
    > at once, or if that would even help with this problem"

    -A cheap router (I've seen them for $10) (Linksys, DLink, Netgear) will
    allow up to 4 computers to share connections. Highly recommended for your
    situation. Also it will be a great learning experience.
    Pete

    William Peterson, Jan 1, 2008
  4. lisa

    nolagrrl Guest

    Re: exporting/importing messages from one computer to another (and

    thanks for the info - i think it boils down to my inability to burn a disk or
    use a flash drive to get the info physically from one computer to the other.
    i've tried it many different ways and no dice. but if i can figure out how
    to do that part, you've given my access to a lot of info i will need.

    nolagrrl, Jan 2, 2008
  5. lisa

    nolagrrl Guest

    Re: exporting/importing messages from one computer to another (and

    i'll definitely check into that - i just haven't been able to get the info
    from one computer to another. thanks

    nolagrrl, Jan 2, 2008
  6. lisa

    Guest Guest

    Re: exporting/importing messages from one computer to another (and

    You're welcome.

    Guest, Jan 2, 2008