Explorer tool Check Disk unable to complete the disk check

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by theDude, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. theDude

    theDude Guest

    I'm running WindowsXP Home Edition with NTFS formatted drives and cannot
    check or repair drives in windows. When using the Error-checking tool in
    Windows Explorer, Windows reports error message, "Checking Disk, Windows was
    unable to complete the disk check." If I boot to a DOS prompt and run
    chkdsk.exe /f the program works fine. It even reschedules the task for next
    boot on the active drives. I've made several changes to my system before I
    realized the problem so I'm without a restore point for this correction. L I
    'd much appreciate any advice.

    SB

    PS, Norton Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't repair or fully check the disk either.
    Both tools worked fine in the past.

    theDude, Oct 3, 2003

  2. You probably have an app that is constantly trying to access the partition
    in question. Are all your other apps closed when you perform the check?

    --
    Please reply in newsgroup.

    Delwin Lee [MSFT], Oct 5, 2003

  3. theDude

    theDude Guest

    First of all, thanks for the response. Yes I've made sure of it. In fact it
    won't run in safe mode either. I've even reinstalled XP with no results. I
    did find some info on the MS support pages regarding XP's eratic workings
    with NTFS and DMA (direct memory access) and those haven't helped either.

    "Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > You probably have an app that is constantly trying to access the partition
    > in question. Are all your other apps closed when you perform the check?
    >
    > --
    > Please reply in newsgroup.

    rights.

    theDude, Oct 6, 2003