Access Exclusive Use problem in MS Access

Reaction score
I have an MS Access Database that I have been using (shared) for many years. I recently added a new form to the database. Whenever I try to search for a record on this form, I get the "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time..." message.

I am familiar with this message and I fully understand about not being able to make design changes while other users are in the database... but I am NOT trying to make any design changes! I am simply trying to pull up a record, the same way I do on countless other forms in the same database! Only this one form in the database is affected. All other forms work fine! Can anyone help???

Reaction score
One of the things I would try first, especially for an old database, is make a copy (make sure no one is in it) and then Compact and Repair the database. I've seen old, bloated databases get errors that don't seem right over time get fixed just with this. Otherwise, the usual solution for this kind of problem is to split the database, which sounds like it would probably cause more problems for you than it would fix.

Ask a Question