Excel won't open files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Setup' started by Wayne Clements, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Until recently I had a perfectly good MS Office XP Pro
    with all the latest product updates.

    Suddenly Excel will not open XLS files when I double-
    click on them. Excel starts with no workbook, with no
    warning or error messages.

    I can open any XLS file by using the File --> Open menu.

    When I double-click on a shortcut to an XLS file, I get a
    file cannot be found, even tho' I can open the XLS file
    by using the File --> Open menu.

    Also I have notice that if an MS Outlook email contains a
    XLS attachment and I click on that attachment Excel
    starts and I get an Outlook message saying that the XLS
    file cannot be found.

    Does anyone know how to fix this?

    Thanks
    Wayne

    Wayne Clements, Nov 3, 2003

  2. I'm sorry, I looked & I looked, but obviously not hard
    enough

    The answer is: Open Excel, go to Tools=>Options=>General
    tab and make sure Ignore Other
    Applications is not checked.

    Published by "Tom Ogilvy" <>

    Thanks
    Wayne

    Wayne Clements, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Wayne Clements

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Wayne

    First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore
    other applications"

    OR Re-register Excel.

    Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
    mark).

    You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
    with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

    In your case it sounds more like re-registering first would be best.

    Gord Dibben XL2002

    Gord Dibben, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Thanks

    <>

    Wayne Clements, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Wayne Clements

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Wayne Clements

    moezeddin

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    USA
    Excel Does not display the fiel as you Double Click it

    I must say, excellent Job, The solution described here, worked perfectly.
    I reversed the Process on my own PC and it broke my Excel.

    Thank you From Boston, MA, USA

    moezeddin, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Wayne Clements

    paoconn

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Gord

    appreciate the quick fix to this problem

    paoconn, Mar 1, 2010
  8. Wayne Clements

    warp

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Gord. The second fix (Re-register Excel) worked. Some how Excel in my work computer got messed up. Thanks to you Excel is working as it used to and I'm able to get back to work without going through a lot of extra steps to open Excel files..........Tony S

    warp, Nov 10, 2010