Excel Excel VB - exporting & importing data

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm fairly new to this forum stuff so please bear with me if I have done this incorrectly or posted it wrong....!

Basically I have been asked to update our current lotus.123 (DOS) management accounts to excel, but there are quite a few tricky macros within lotus that I am not sure how to convert.

We use a csv file to download our nominal ledger into, and the first macro imports this data and saves it as an excel file based upon a cell reference. i.e.18N0507 where cell A3 gives date to reference last four digits. Before closing the file, and opening another template file.

How do I import data the csv file and save it with a specified name based upon a cell ref?

The next macro will then import the month actual, month plan, ytd plan, and ytd actual into the template just opened. Each or the imported files will be again based upon varying cell references. Before finally saving the template file with all exported data as a temp file. i.e. 18temp

Each of the templates is protected apart from the data entry cells, and those cells where the data is imported into.

I'm ok with linking files etc, but the macros used in lotus actually import specific cell references from specific files, and then automatically rename the file that the data is imported into.

I'm afraid this is a little above my skills, although the macro formula in lotus looks so easy??!

One of the other problems I have is that the accounts can be run in draft forma number of times before being finalised, so the function also needs to overwrite any current files saved, although I would like a prompt of some sort before this is done?

Any help would be much appreciated.
I have found some references to importing data from other workbooks via VB, but not based upon a cell reference, or something that will change name each month.

Ask a Question