    but the macro is gone and I now get an error message stating the macro cannot
    be found...???

    Help!

    Guest, May 11, 2005

    Gord Dibben Guest

    CCR

    When you recorded the macro you probably had Personal Macro Workbook selected
    as the place to store it.

    Close Excel completely then re-open. Personal.xls should open and your macro
    will be available.

    For more on Personal.xls see Help.

    BTW......you don't save a "worksheet", you save a "workbook" which can contain
    multiple worksheets.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, May 11, 2005

    Thanks, Gord...

    No, the macro doesn't show up in any file I open (though it used to!!!???).

    Nothing works so I guess I will re-record it...

    Now, how do I make it portable to others? The challenge is the file i want
    it in is opened up via an export from Access. So, it isn't a file I have
    saved somewhere, I developed it in a file that was exported...perhaps that is
    why it disappeared?

    Either way, thanks again, Gord...

    CCR

    Guest, May 12, 2005

    Gord,

    I had to re-record the macro, but once I saved it in Personal.xls, it works
    now.

    I also e-mailed my personal.xls to a co-worker and it works for him too...so
    now I know how to make Excel macros protable!

    Thanks again,

    CCR

    Guest, May 12, 2005

    Moxie Guest

    This happened to me this morning. I had saved the macros in my workbook and
    when I re-opened it, they were gone. It was because when I saved the
    workbook, I saved it as a normal .xlsx file. This file format does not
    support macros. To save a workbook containing macros, you have to "save as"
    ..xlsm which is Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook.

    This is for the newest version of Excel as of today April 2009. I don't
    know the version because the menus have been changed so extensively that I
    can't even find where to look for the version information.....

    Moxie, Apr 16, 2009