"Excel has stopped working" - WHY??? (Reposted!)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Crashes' started by Guest, Aug 17, 2007.

    I've had to post this again as someone else has "hijacked" my previous post!

    Using Vista + Office 2003, nearly every time I close or exit a file in Excel
    it stops working. I keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's
    stopped working and then that it's restarting, where it then throws up copies
    of all the recent Excel documents I've been working on, which I then have to
    sift through or "delete" rather nervously hoping I haven't lost anything
    important! It's driving me mad!!

    Example when it happens is... open an Excel document, print it, then close
    it again using the "x" in the top right corner. Repeat this again but close
    it using "File", "Exit" or "Close" and Excel stops working again.

    I have tried using the Detect and Repair option under the Help menu, but
    this hasn't solved the problem.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Guest, Aug 17, 2007

    Excel stops working no matter how I close/exit file or program. Will try
    your suggestions and see what happens.

    Thanks.

    Bill Manville, Aug 17, 2007

    OK, have tried all and no luck. In response to your questions: -

    Is this always repeatable? It happens 9 times out of 10.
    Regardless of what file(s) you have opened? Yes.
    Do you have any add-ins loaded? Sage Integrated Reporting and Sage XL Addin
    (neither of which I use!)
    When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
    indicate as the module and address of the crash? It doesn't. It just says
    "Excel has stopped working" then "Excel is trying to restart", or "Excel has
    had to close". There are no links to click on anywhere.

    Try renaming the Excel11.xlb file which you would find somewhere like:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    and then try again. - Tried this, and no luck I'm afraid.

    Guest, Aug 17, 2007
  5. Alex wrote:
    > When it crashes, if you click on the link to show details, what does it
    > indicate as the module and address of the crash? It doesn't. It just says
    > "Excel has stopped working"

    I am surprised that there is no way to determine the location of the failure.
    There always is when I encounter one-but as I can't make one happen I can't
    recall the exact wording of the link which, in any case, may vary in Vista.

    I suggest you de-select the add-ins in Tools > Add-ins.

    Bill Manville, Aug 18, 2007

    All fixed!! Thanks for your help Bill!!

    Guest, Aug 21, 2007

    Hello Alex,

    > All fixed!! Thanks for your help Bill!!
    > > I suggest you de-select the add-ins in Tools > Add-ins.

    all fixed because of deselecting the add-ins?

    I´ve got the same problem...but I didn´t have installed any add-ins. Here is
    just an entry with bluetooth.

    regards

    timo

    Guest, Aug 21, 2007

    Hello Bill

    > Bluetooth has been the culprit for a number of other posters
    > experiencing crashes in Excel 2007.

    thanks, but there is just the symbol there. I do not have bluetooth
    activated. Could I banish bluetooth entirely from my system and would this
    maybe help?

    adios

    timo

    Guest, Aug 21, 2007
  9. Bluetooth has been the culprit for a number of other posters

    Bill Manville, Aug 21, 2007
  10. Does this have any relevance to you, quoting a recent reply of mine to
    another user who had Excel crashing.?

    <<
    The following, from another user's thread with similar problem
    description, may help?
    <<
    The
    problem deals with the Bluetooth COM add-in for Excel ("Send to
    Bluetooth"). The problem stems from the fact that the Bluetooth add-
    in tries to refer to my profile data at a hard-wired folder location
    of "C:\Documents and Settings\gomer\My Documents\Bluetooth Exchange
    Folder". However, I have relocated my profile to another HDD.
    Obviously, the folder location should not be hardcoded. The way I
    eliminated the problem was to disable the Bluetooth COM add-in (Send
    to Bluetooth) within Excel 2007. This is done via the "Add-ins"
    section of the "Excel Options". By the way, the "Send to Bluetooth"
    add-in refers to "C:\Windows\system32\btsendto_office.dll", which I
    believe was produced by/for Broadcom.

    Another way to solve the problem is to leave the add-in enabled and
    create a dummy folder path in "Documents and Settings". I do not know
    the ramifications of doing this.

    Gomer

    Bill Manville, Aug 21, 2007

    Hello Bill

    > The
    > problem deals with the Bluetooth COM add-in for Excel ("Send to
    > Bluetooth").

    I tried to deactivate the Bluetooth, but Vista did not let me do this. I
    almost gave up...but then after the 5th (or so) time Windows Vista ask me to
    deactive the Bluetooth...and I just had to say yes ;-)

    I hope excel will now work properly...

    adios

    timo

    Guest, Aug 29, 2007

    You may want to check the quick access toolbar.

    I had the same problem because I use the Solver complement in Excel and did
    something terrible : I added the solver button to the top left of the ribbon
    in the quick access toolbar! So when Excel loads, the shortcut probably tries
    to find the complement that is not yet loaded and that crashes Excel. At
    first, I deactivated the complement but then I found that the culprit was
    that shortcut so I don't put a shortcut there anymore and everything is fine.
    Please Microsoft, fix that!

    Do someone knows how to file a bug ? I tried in the past and they wanted me
    to pay for technical support! I found a bug in Outlook 97 that was still
    there in Office 2003 and I didn't check in Office 2007. It was less expensive
    to code a workaround than to pay for the privilege of submitting a bug and
    hoping that it would be fixed...

    Alex

    Guest, Nov 15, 2007

    Hello Alex,

    "Alex The Rock" wrote:

    > Do someone knows how to file a bug ? I tried in the past and they wanted me
    > to pay for technical support! I found a bug in Outlook 97 that was still
    > there in Office 2003 and I didn't check in Office 2007. It was less expensive
    > to code a workaround than to pay for the privilege of submitting a bug and
    > hoping that it would be fixed...

    maybe they realize, that they will never be able to fix Vista and office. So
    they try to get as much money out of the packages as they could. ;-)

    but looking at the big picture: excel is in comparison with vista really
    stable - you can call it bug-free ;-)

    vista on the other hand ;-(

    regards

    timo

    Guest, Nov 15, 2007

    I just have bought a new Dell Laptop 1720 with Windows Vista and Microsoft
    office 2003. I have the same problem that Exel is closing down by saving an
    Exel document, but than I am receiving the message that the file
    "BDSENDTO_OFFICE.DLL" is responsible for this bug. Up to now I couldn't
    solve the problem. Dell is replying that Microsoft is responsible for this
    bug.
    Can Anyone help please ?

    Guest, Nov 19, 2007

    li su Guest

    Hello Jean,

    "Jean-Marie Buntinx" wrote:

    > I just have bought a new Dell Laptop 1720 with Windows Vista and Microsoft
    > office 2003. I have the same problem that Exel is closing down by saving an
    > Exel document, but than I am receiving the message that the file
    > "BDSENDTO_OFFICE.DLL" is responsible for this bug. Up to now I couldn't
    > solve the problem. Dell is replying that Microsoft is responsible for this
    > bug.
    > Can Anyone help please ?

    I dont know if you still have that problem this days,
    but i hope this will able to help you...

    1. Try to find "Excel Option" by clicking the Office icon on the upper left
    corner then click it.
    2. When "Excel Option" windows appear, click on "Trust Center", and then
    click on "Trust Center Setting"
    3. In "Trust Center" windows, click on "add-ins". You must cross the 1st
    and 3rd option.
    4. Click "OK" 2 times and close Excel Program.

    You must first restart your laptop.
    Try the Excel program and I'm 100% sure you dont have that kind of problem
    anymore...
    That's It...!!

    li su, Dec 25, 2007

    Caitlin Guest

    This is a ferocious problem - I would have been out of luck without this
    posting of yours to realize that the culprit was the quick access toolbar
    link i added.

    Thanks! I too hope Microsoft fixes this.

    Caitlin, Jan 14, 2008

    mlu Guest

    Dear All,

    I have a similar problem with Vista Business on a Lenovo T61 laptop and with
    Excel 2003.
    Whenever I'm trying to close the program it says "Excel has stopped working".
    The funny is I really wanted to stop it but somehow Vista doesn't realizes
    this.
    I tried the Add-Ins... hint I read here previously but none of them are
    checked...
    I hope there is a solution!

    Thanks,
    Miklos

    mlu, Apr 22, 2008

    Manolo Guest

    I tried all the suggestions here and unfotunatelly nothing works.
    no add ons in Excel, is there any hope???

    Manolo

    Manolo, May 16, 2008

    akim Guest

    Thanks li su,
    Your solutions is 100% OK for me; I use DELL Vostro with Vista and M.Office
    2007
    Before this solution, My excel always crashed.

    akim, Jul 28, 2008

    david_hurdle Guest

    If you google this you will find that thousands of people have the same
    problem. Why microsoft can't seem to solve it is a mystery to me. In fact it
    is quite simple - here are the instructions for excel 2007 (sorry never used
    2003 but i'm pretty sure its the same problem): you have to disable the "send
    to bluetooth" COM add-in. The easiest way to do this is to go to excel.exe in
    explorer, right click it, open it as administrator, open the file menu (top
    right hand corner), open "excel options" (left hand corner of window), click
    on "add-ins" (third from bottom on left) , then click on "manage com addins"
    - bottom of screen and un-check the "send to blue tooth" box. In excel 2007
    this only works if you opened it as administrator!

    I don't know why i had to do all this. I'm a simple user and haven't done
    anything unusual or installed any strange software. Eventually the
    frustration of having excel crash all the time drove me to desperate measures.

    Hope this helps!

    David

    david_hurdle, Sep 26, 2009