    an XP-Home machine.

    Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and
    how I might correct for it?

    John McFadden, Jul 14, 2003

  2. The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jul 14, 2003

  3. John McFadden

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    with excel open, go to tools=>Options=>General and make sure Ignore Other
    Applications is not checked.

    if that doesn't help with the opening, close excel, go to the windows start
    menu and select run (it is in the right column of choices at the bottom on
    my version of win -xp)

    enter

    Excel.Exe /regserver

    and click OK.

    This will reset Excel's registry settings.

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    Tom Ogilvy, Jul 14, 2003

  4. >-----Original Message-----
    >The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the

    solution:

    >http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen
    >
    >John McFadden wrote:
    >>
    >> Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel
    >> (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that

    the
    >> file is already open - although, once I click OK, I

    seem
    >> to be able to work with the file normally. The same

    file
    >> will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97

    on
    >> an XP-Home machine.
    >>
    >> Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and
    >> how I might correct for it?

    >--
    >
    >Dave Peterson
    >
    >.

    Thanks, Dave,
    The FAQ info worked like a charm.

    John

    John McFadden, Jul 15, 2003

  5. >-----Original Message-----
    >with excel open, go to tools=>Options=>General and make

    sure Ignore Other
    >Applications is not checked.
    >
    >if that doesn't help with the opening, close excel, go

    to the windows start
    >menu and select run (it is in the right column of

    choices at the bottom on
    >my version of win -xp)
    >
    >enter
    >
    >Excel.Exe /regserver
    >
    >and click OK.
    >
    >This will reset Excel's registry settings.
    >

    >Regards,
    >Tom Ogilvy
    >

    >John McFadden <> wrote in message
    >> Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel
    >> (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that

    the
    >> file is already open - although, once I click OK, I

    seem
    >> to be able to work with the file normally. The same

    file
    >> will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97

    on
    >> an XP-Home machine.
    >>
    >> Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and
    >> how I might correct for it?

    >.

    Thanks, Tom,

    EXCEL /REGSERVER did the trick.

    John

    John McFadden, Jul 15, 2003
  6. John McFadden

    Kri' sis

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    The information from that link from Debra Dalgleish was immediately helpful. I was having the exact same problem as John when using Excel 97 on an XP home computer. Thank you, PCReview, for keeping this post/thread readable to the public for the past 5+ years.

    -Kri' sis

    Kri' sis, Nov 16, 2008