EXCEL.EXE is not a valid win32 application

JD Horn

Sometimes when I try to open excel directly, or by double-clicking an excel
file, I get the error message "EXCEL.EXE is not a valid win32 application".
The first time it happened, I tried repairing office - and that seemed to
work - but the last time, I shut down and restarted the comp and excel
started to work again. Excel seems to be the only app that does this. I use
it quite a bit, and it's giving me flashbacks to windows 95's multiple
reboots per day to keep things working ;)

I'm running office pro 2007 sp1 on vista sp1 (oh, and this started to happen
after the vista sp1 install)

Jim

scott pisciotta

I get the same issue. It has to be something with Vista's shi###Y memory management. I turned off super feth and back on to no avail....I also noticed that if you have OneNote and try to use its screen capture option you only get a blank screen capture.

Vista is worse than Windows ME. It is an SP1 issue.

K-Dog

I get the same issue.  It has to be something with Vista's shi###Y memory management.  I turned off super feth and back on to no avail....I also noticed that if you have OneNote and try to use its screen capture option youonly get a blank screen capture.

Vista is worse than Windows ME.  It is an SP1 issue.

I am having this problem as well... vista/sp1 excel 2007

Martine

I am receiving the same error message when opening Excel 2007 - anyone have
solutions yet? Please share.

Fuginator

Rebooting does seem to help, for a few days, then you must reboot again.
Almost sounding like older versions of Windows now.... And everything was so
stable before a few days ago. (Even after SP1, it was fine for weeks, then
it broke).

We are using Microsoft Dynamics CRM, and it's new - any of you running that
as well?

Martine

Ok - I was able to open Excel by changing the compatibility feature - I
believe I found it by clicking on the Excel file and then properties. This
solved the problem for me - at least for now.

Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Exactly,
I was changing the default saving format (from xlsx to xls) by GPO and my excel crashed every time i launched it. Step back fix my problem
(Excel 2007 w/ SP1)

"Fuginator" wrote:

> Rebooting does seem to help, for a few days, then you must reboot again.
> Almost sounding like older versions of Windows now.... And everything was so
> stable before a few days ago. (Even after SP1, it was fine for weeks, then
> it broke).
>
> We are using Microsoft Dynamics CRM, and it's new - any of you running that
> as well?

David Potter

I tried this and it didn't work for me. It seems like the problem is related
to memory pressure. It only happens when memory usage rises too high.