-----Original Message-----
I get this error when trying to open a .xls file. "Windows
cannot find 'C:\ssb\testssb01.xls'. Make sure you typed
the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
file, click the Start button, and then click Search." The
weird is that it still opens the file!?
Any suggestions?

Hi....

I have the same problem that you but with one diference.
It doesn´t open the file. I can only open the file if i
open excel and go to the menu file open etc...

Have you found any solution?

Reaction score
logan.2005 said:
try reinstalling the ms office.

I thought of that, but what will reinstalling do? I wouldn't want to complicate the problem.
I only get the annoying message when I try to access my spreadsheets via the "My Recent Documents" route. Yet I can use this route for my MS Word documents! The other weird thing is that the other user of this computer can use the "MRD" route when logged on under his User ID.

Reaction score
Solution

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.
2. Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Ignore other applications check box in the General area.
3. Click OK.
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or earlier versions of Excel click Options, on the Tools menu.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Click to clear the Ignore other applications check box, and then click OK.
After you do this, you should be able to open workbooks by double-clicking them in Windows Explorer.

Reaction score
attempting porthale's solution to "windows cannot find ** .xls..." for Office Excel '97. Clicking on excel, tools, options, generates "send error report" , closes down excel, and trys to sell me upgrade. Still can 'work around' by opening excel, file, open, browse/navigate to and open desired file. On Dell 4550, XP home, Norton 2007, spybot.

Reaction score
I want to say thanks too. I use Excel 2007 and this issue has been bugging me for months now. Thanks for the solution

Reaction score
jokhok_668 said:
I want to say thanks too. I use Excel 2007 and this issue has been bugging me for months now. Thanks for the solution

Yea, this definitely fixed it for me. I went the lazy way and thought that a re-install would resolve but I was wrong. It's a wierd error though, does anyone know why it would start prompting this message in the first place??

Thanks

Reaction score
I am using Office 2007, porthale's solution was the final solution.
I checked the status of this option on newly installed Offices (2003 & 2007) and it was not changed.
I wonder what happens that this option is checked/enabled?

Reaction score
porthale said:
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.
2. Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Ignore other applications check box in the General area.
3. Click OK.
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or earlier versions of Excel click Options, on the Tools menu.
After you do this, you should be able to open workbooks by double-clicking them in Windows Explorer.
Hi - I'm new - I'm getting this problem but the file won't open - I also checked your solution and the flag is already clear - any suggestions are welcome please.

Reaction score
Solved! Thanks!

We had the same issue at one of our clients

This solved the issue. Thank you for the solution Porthale!
3. Click OK.

Olivier
http://netdr.net

cap

Reaction score
In my case the file won't even open so that I can follow the steps given below.

Please your urgent reply will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthale
3. Click OK.
Hi - I'm new - I'm getting this problem but the file won't open - I also checked your solution and the flag is already clear - any suggestions are welcome please.

Ask a Question