    options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures", none
    of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the traditional
    stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

    Leland, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Leland

    Andy Pope Guest

    Hi,

    The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
    method of doing pattern fills.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm

    And this is how you install add-ins.
    http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
    http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/08/20/installing-an-add-in-in-excel-2007/

    Cheers
    Andy
    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

    Andy Pope, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Leland

    Leland Guest

    Andy Pope-

    Your advice is terrific, but I guess I need a bit more. When I download
    your add-in, it works great and the chart looks exactly like I want.
    Wonderful!

    Then I follow your instructions about how to install the add-in, I am not
    able to do it. I click the Office button, the Excel options button, and the
    Add-ins button, but there is only one active application add-in available
    (“Send to Bluetooth�) and when I click the “Go…†button the add-in option
    that I want (I am assuming that would be “Pattern Fillsâ€) is not available.

    How to I make your Pattern Fills Add-in appear in the “Active Application
    Add-ins†Window?

    Thank you so much. -Leland

    Leland, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Leland

    Leland Guest

    Hi Again Andy Pope,

    Some other users in the "General Questions" group under Excel helped me find
    a solution to my problem. I saved the Add-in to the following folder

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Library

    And now it shows up just like you said it would. I cannot thank you enough
    for your help. I am truly grateful.

    -Leland

    Leland, Aug 22, 2008
  5. Leland

    Andy Pope Guest

    Thanks for the update. Glad you was able to get it sorted.

    Cheers
    Andy

    Andy Pope, Aug 23, 2008
  6. Leland

    Glenda Guest

    Wow, this was my question - thank you so much... your instructions were
    perfect.
    --
    Glenda

    Glenda, Oct 27, 2008
  7. Leland

    john9210 Guest

    "Andy Pope" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a
    > method of doing pattern fills.
    > http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm
    >
    > And this is how you install add-ins.
    > http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip010.htm
    > http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/08/20/installing-an-add-in-in-excel-2007/
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andy
    > --
    >
    > Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    > http://www.andypope.info
    > "Leland" <> wrote in message
    > >I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for
    > > black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional
    > > horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill
    > > options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures",
    > > none
    > > of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the
    > > traditional
    > > stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel?

    Andy,
    I loaded the add-in ok, but I can't figure out how to apply fill to
    individual columns. I'm using black and white, not color and I need the fill
    to distinguish the columns.

    Thank,

    John9210

    john9210, Jun 18, 2009
  8. Leland

    Andy Pope Guest

    Hi,

    To do individual columns you would first need to select a individual column.
    Click a column once to select the column series. Then click the column again
    to select the individual column.

    Now when you use the addin only the single column should have the pattern
    chosen.

    Cheers
    Andy

    Andy Pope, Jun 19, 2009
  9. Leland

    john9210 Guest

    john9210, Jun 19, 2009
  10. Leland

    Andy Pope Guest

    Can you email the file you are trying this on.

    andy AT andypope DOT info

    Also let me know the version and service pack level.
    Office button > Excel Options > Resources

    Cheers
    Andy

    Andy Pope, Jun 19, 2009
  11. Leland

    Eric Guest

    Thanks much for posting this UI. The patterns are indispensable when I have
    to make charts meant to be printed in black and white. I was puzzled why this
    functionality was removed from Excel 2007.

    With much appreciation,

    Eric

    Eric, Oct 8, 2009
  12. The feature has been reinstated in Office 2010
    Andy's change at making a fortune just left <gr>
    But lots of us appreciate what is add-in has done for us meanwhile
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    Microsoft Excel MVP