Excel 2007 Slow Typing and Cell Change

SACoull

Hi,

I have a client with a problem in Excel 2007 when they are typing into the
workbook there is a noticable delay (1-2 secs) between the keystroke and the
letter or number appearing on the screen. When they tab between cells there
is again a noticable delay between the tab key being pressed and the cell
border moving to the next cell.

It is a new install of Office 2007 Basic on a brand new computer, Office
Service pack 2 has been applied and all the latest office updates also. The
problem does not occur in word or outlook.

I have tried creating a new worksheet (2007 format) and the problem still
exists, the problem also occurs in old exel documents created in XP/2003
format when opened in compatibilty mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen.

Dave Peterson

If the delay occurs when typing into a single cell, then I don't think it's
excel. Excel won't let macros run when users are editing the cell.

If the delay occurs after you hit enter (using tab to go to the next cell, too),
then it could be a misbehaving macro.

I'd open excel in safe mode.
Close excel
Windows start button|Run
excel /safe
Open your file and test it.

I don't have a good guess--since it doesn't occur in MSWord or Outlook. But I'd
look at something at the windows level (Antivirus program stealing CPU
cycles???) Maybe something that gets installed with another program that adds
functionality to excel????

If you find the solution, please post back. It may help other victims searching
google groups.

Sophie Tan [MSFT]

Please try the Excel Safe mode:

Click Start->Run, type "Excel /s" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
box.
Note: There is a space between the Excel and the /s switch.

If the issue doesn't occur, please try the following steps:

Step 1: Disable all the installed add-ins
============================
1. Start Excel in normal Mode
2. Click the Office icon > Excel Options.
3. Click Addins. In the 'manage' field, choose 'Excel add-ins', click Go.
Uncheck all the checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
4. In the 'manage' field, choose 'COM add-ins', click Go. Uncheck all the
checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
5. Click OK

Step 2: Recreate the Excel registry key
===============================
1. Click Start > Run. Type regedit, click OK.
2. Locate the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel
3. Right click it and choose rename to rename it.
4. Restart Excel. Then, a new key will be generated. What is the result?

Step 3: Search and rename the .xlb files.

Step 4: Clean up the Excel Startup folder.
=================================
Please backup and then delete any files that are located in the following
Excel Startup folders:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Startup
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Xlstart
C:\Documents and Settings\ username \Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart, where username is your logon user name.

If the issue still occurs, please try to boot your machine into the Safe
Mode, and test if the issue occurs.

Regards,

Sophie Tan, MCSE

Microsoft Online Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?U0FDb3VsbA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Excel 2007 Slow Typing and Cell Change
| Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 03:21:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
|
| Hi,
|
| I have a client with a problem in Excel 2007 when they are typing into
the
| workbook there is a noticable delay (1-2 secs) between the keystroke and
the
| letter or number appearing on the screen. When they tab between cells
there
| is again a noticable delay between the tab key being pressed and the cell
| border moving to the next cell.
|
| It is a new install of Office 2007 Basic on a brand new computer, Office
| Service pack 2 has been applied and all the latest office updates also.
The
| problem does not occur in word or outlook.
|
| I have tried creating a new worksheet (2007 format) and the problem still
| exists, the problem also occurs in old exel documents created in XP/2003
| format when opened in compatibilty mode.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Stephen.

MickG1975

Hi, i have the same problem, i have office 2007 (excel) and am running vista.
i have not installed any other software recently, however my system did
recently do a windows update which seems to have been about the same time as
the problem occured... i have started excel in safe mode but this has not
worked, the problem is still there... i need some help with this please as i
do a lot of data entry and the lag is extremely frustrating...

Cheers
Mick

"Sophie Tan [MSFT]" said:
Please try the Excel Safe mode:

Click Start->Run, type "Excel /s" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
box.
Note: There is a space between the Excel and the /s switch.

If the issue doesn't occur, please try the following steps:

Step 1: Disable all the installed add-ins
============================
1. Start Excel in normal Mode
2. Click the Office icon > Excel Options.
3. Click Addins. In the 'manage' field, choose 'Excel add-ins', click Go.
Uncheck all the checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
4. In the 'manage' field, choose 'COM add-ins', click Go. Uncheck all the
checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
5. Click OK

Step 2: Recreate the Excel registry key
===============================
1. Click Start > Run. Type regedit, click OK.
2. Locate the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel
3. Right click it and choose rename to rename it.
4. Restart Excel. Then, a new key will be generated. What is the result?

Step 3: Search and rename the .xlb files.

Step 4: Clean up the Excel Startup folder.
=================================
Please backup and then delete any files that are located in the following
Excel Startup folders:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Startup
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Xlstart
C:\Documents and Settings\ username \Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart, where username is your logon user name.

If the issue still occurs, please try to boot your machine into the Safe
Mode, and test if the issue occurs.

Regards,

Sophie Tan, MCSE

Microsoft Online Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?U0FDb3VsbA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Excel 2007 Slow Typing and Cell Change
| Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 03:21:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
|
| Hi,
|
| I have a client with a problem in Excel 2007 when they are typing into
the
| workbook there is a noticable delay (1-2 secs) between the keystroke and
the
| letter or number appearing on the screen. When they tab between cells
there
| is again a noticable delay between the tab key being pressed and the cell
| border moving to the next cell.
|
| It is a new install of Office 2007 Basic on a brand new computer, Office
| Service pack 2 has been applied and all the latest office updates also.
The
| problem does not occur in word or outlook.
|
| I have tried creating a new worksheet (2007 format) and the problem still
| exists, the problem also occurs in old exel documents created in XP/2003
| format when opened in compatibilty mode.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Stephen.

.

Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a client with a problem in Excel 2007 when they are typing into the
workbook there is a noticable delay (1-2 secs) between the keystroke and the
letter or number appearing on the screen. When they tab between cells there
is again a noticable delay between the tab key being pressed and the cell
border moving to the next cell.

It is a new install of Office 2007 Basic on a brand new computer, Office
Service pack 2 has been applied and all the latest office updates also. The
problem does not occur in word or outlook.

I have tried creating a new worksheet (2007 format) and the problem still
exists, the problem also occurs in old exel documents created in XP/2003
format when opened in compatibilty mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen.

I had the same issue Stephen. In my workbook I found that there was a circular reference that was broken, I deleted it the problem is now fixed.

Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Stephen,

Click the formulas tab, look 2 boxes over and click Error Checking, then click Circular Reference and delete that reference. I had the same issue and by deleting the circular reference it cleared the issue.

Thanks,
Stefanie