Excel 2007 - Nothing shows up in the cell while I'm typing!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by TomO, May 13, 2008.

  1. TomO

    TomO Guest

    I'm running into an issue with a range of cells in a spreadsheet where
    nothing shows up in the cell as I type. I can see the cursor moving
    to the right to show that I'm typing something, but the value that I'm
    typing doesn't actually appear in the cell until I hit <Enter>.

    I'm maintaining a large workbook with lots of formulas and named
    ranges. It was built by someone who no longer works here, so I'd
    rather not blow it away and start over. It appears it was built using
    Excel 2003. I'm now managing the file in Excel 2007. I've been
    adding records to this spreadsheet for several days now and didn't
    have this issue. But now all of a sudden, I get to a certain row (in
    this case, Row 1776) and nothing I type shows up until I hit enter.
    If I clear the contents of any row above row 1776, I can clearly see
    everything as I type it. But with Row 1776 and beyone, I can't see
    what I type.

    I am able to see what I'm typing in the formula bar at the top of the
    page, but not in the cell itself.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    TomO, May 13, 2008

  2. TomO

    TomO Guest

    I should add that I DO have the formatting on this cell set so that the text
    is black on a white background. And when I actually hit <ENTER>, the value
    that I typed does show up in the cell in the color that I specified. But I
    still cannot see what I'm typing in the cell until I hit enter.

    TomO, May 13, 2008

  3. TomO

    Ken Johnson Guest

    On May 14, 8:01 am, TomO <> wrote:
    > I should add that I DO have the formatting on this cell set so that the text
    > is black on a white background. And when I actually hit <ENTER>, the value
    > that I typed does show up in the cell in the color that I specified. But I
    > still cannot see what I'm typing in the cell until I hit enter.
    >
    > "TomO" wrote:
    > > I'm running into an issue with a range of cells in a spreadsheet where
    > > nothing shows up in the cell as I type. I can see the cursor moving
    > > to the right to show that I'm typing something, but the value that I'm
    > > typing doesn't actually appear in the cell until I hit <Enter>.

    > > I'm maintaining a large workbook with lots of formulas and named
    > > ranges. It was built by someone who no longer works here, so I'd
    > > rather not blow it away and start over. It appears it was built using
    > > Excel 2003. I'm now managing the file in Excel 2007. I've been
    > > adding records to this spreadsheet for several days now and didn't
    > > have this issue. But now all of a sudden, I get to a certain row (in
    > > this case, Row 1776) and nothing I type shows up until I hit enter.
    > > If I clear the contents of any row above row 1776, I can clearly see
    > > everything as I type it. But with Row 1776 and beyone, I can't see
    > > what I type.

    > > I am able to see what I'm typing in the formula bar at the top of the
    > > page, but not in the cell itself.

    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    This sounds similar...

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...e+Excel+2007+behavior+solved#f83894e8789196de