    can't get another excel file to open. Double clicking another file simply
    does nothing. Any ideas?

    Mark

    Guest, Oct 1, 2004

    Rob Bovey Guest

    "tabcourt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Running Win XP and Office XP Pro 2002. When I have one excel file open, I
    > can't get another excel file to open. Double clicking another file simply
    > does nothing. Any ideas?

    Hi Mark,

    Choose Tools/Options/General from the Excel menu and make sure the
    "Ignore other applications" checkbox is not checked.

    --
    Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals

    Rob Bovey, Oct 1, 2004

    Rob,

    Wouldn't you want the box to be checked? Isn't the reason other files aren't
    opening is that another application is in conflict?

    Guest, Oct 1, 2004

    Rob Bovey Guest

    "tabcourt" <> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't you want the box to be checked? Isn't the reason other files
    > aren't
    > opening is that another application is in conflict?

    Nope, that checkbox is used to make Excel ignore calls to itself from
    other applications. Double-clicking a file in Explorer is a call from
    Explorer to Excel. If that checkbox is checked, Excel will ignore the call
    and not open the file.

    Rob Bovey, Oct 2, 2004

    Guest, Oct 4, 2004

    Rob Bovey Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Have you tried removing the checkmark from the Ignore other applications
    checkbox under the Tools/Options/General menu as I suggested earlier?

    Rob Bovey, Oct 4, 2004

  7. >Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
    >Application Professionals
    >http://www.appspro.com/
    >
    >* Please post all replies to this newsgroup *
    >* I delete all unsolicited e-mail responses *
    >

    >.

    Hey, Rob, do you think you can help me? Excel keeps on
    not responding when I try to open it, even in safe mode.
    I have Windows XP running. Do I need to supply any other
    information for you to help troubleshoot?

    Thanks,
    Anna Chen-Mei Huang
    10/5/2004 Tues.

    Anna Chen-Mei Huang, Oct 5, 2004

    Rob Bovey Guest

    Hi Anna,

    Have you completed all the steps in the following Knowledge Base
    article:

    http://support.microsoft.com?id=280504

    If Excel won't start in safe mode even when Windows is in safe mode, the
    only thing left to try is removing and reinstalling Office. Even this may
    not work, because this situation is usually caused by a conflict between
    Excel and some other piece of software running on your computer, and the
    conflict may still exist after a reinstall.

    Rob Bovey, Oct 5, 2004