    size limit and that I need to delete mail to make more room. Well, I have
    deleted about 10 folders (!), and it still gives me the same error message.
    Does anyone have a solution he or she would like to recommend? Thank you.

    sas05jackal, Jan 5, 2009

  2. sas05jackal

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    It sounds like you are trying it to move to a pst-file that is in ANSI
    format and not in UNICODE format. ANSI formatted pst-files are limited to
    2GB.

    As you've just deleted the items, you could force a manual Compact on the
    pst-file to return the white space and actually decrease the file size of
    the pst-file to far below the 2GB size limit.

    A better solution would be to start off with a new UNICODE formatted
    pst-file instead.
    See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/115

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    http://www.msoutlook.info/

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Jan 5, 2009

  3. sas05jackal

    sas05jackal Guest

    Hi Roady,

    Will moving to a UNICODE format from an ANSI format rewrite or delete
    any of my old .pst files? I'll check into your link.

    Also, how do I force a manual compact process on the .pst file?

    Thank for your help so far.

    sas05jackal, Jan 5, 2009
  4. You're not really "moving" to a UNICODE format so much as creating a new
    UNICODE file and moving the contents of your old ANSI formatted file.
    Your old ANSI files will still exist.

    To force a manual compact go to the folder list in Outlook, right-click
    on the Personal Folders file in question (the root of it that says
    "Personal Folder File" most likely) and choose Properties. Click the
    Advanced button and you'll see a button labeled "Compact Now".

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), Jan 5, 2009
  5. sas05jackal

    sas05jackal Guest

    Hi Ben,

    Thanks for the clarification. It's a little busy here today, so I'll try it
    tomorrow and hopefully let everyone know the results. Thank you.

    sas05jackal, Jan 5, 2009